Flemish Giants & English Lops - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Thanks for the info Jewels.Do you have pictures of your furries?

For years now off and on I would change my mind about wanting a bunny.Because of negative things people said about them,like being harder to train then dogs and having more behaviour problems then dogs.But so far in what I have read,that do not mean ALL are.Plus I know a few people with bunnies and a couple have had problems,but worked thru them and now have happy bunnies.

I do think I want one though!

In general,how long do the average bun bun live?
Neutered/Spayed rabbits generally live at least seven years but many live even longer. They sometimes live up to 12 years. In general, smaller breeds tend to live longer then the giants.

Most behavioural problems can be solved by having the bunny fixed and other problems can usually be worked out. For example, a rabbit who chews on your things might just need more toys.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
For example, a rabbit who chews on your things might just need more toys.
Exactly - Daisy would make a ton of racket trying to chew her litter box when we first got her and it drove us (Jason more so than me) crazy. We were still feeling her out for what toys she liked best (she's a picky little thing), but once we got the right combination of chewables and rattles we never had another problem.

As for training - Buns tend to pick a lot up on their own (they're a lot smarter than non-bunny people give them credit for). Aside from litterbox training, which is comparable to training a cat - the basic idea is to limit space and give a little space when the bun is using their litterbox properly, and then a little more space, and so on - unless you want to teach the bun tricks (which is possible), they'll pick anything else up.

For example, my buns get fed the at the same time every morning and if their breakfast is late then I get a symphony of rattles and bells from toys. Charlie is so smart that if I (he doesn't do it with Jason, but Jason has seen him do it) mention drinking something or being thirsty, he'll go to his water bottle and take a drink - I didn't teach him that, he's just smart and knows what it means. And most every bun that I've heard of knows the meaning of the word "treat".

My buns are also very good about bed time. Even though rabbits are nocturnal, mine will play as quitely as possible when Jason and I go to bed. We didn't really train them on this either. They just figured out that lights out meant it was time to be quite.

BTW - I'm working on pics of my buns .

Tags
flemish giant, flemish giants, hay rack, holland lop, litter box, litter train, litter trained, local shelter, mini lop, mini lops, mini rex, mixed breed, mixed breeds, netherland dwarf, teddy bear, water bowl