food & bedding?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

food & bedding??

Hey guys,
I got my new bunny on Tuesday night! I'll have to see if I can figure out how to post a picture later, he's so adorable.
I have just a few questions. Is kiln-dried pine okay to use as bedding or should I stick with aspen? Also, what are some good pellets. I've heard Oxbow and Purina Rabbit chow, is this right?
Thanks for any info!!
~Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Adolescent Pup

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the scented oil that is in aspen and cedar bedding is harmful to them. Personally, we use carefresh for all of the rodents/rabbit, which works just fine & is cozy.

We are all teachers on this earth, let's act like we know what we're doing!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Part of the Pack

Yeah, kiln dried pine is the same as regular ol pine, well, just as dangerous anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I use carefree and Oxbow bunny basics T. They were both recommeded to me by the vet.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Part of the Pack

I don't have any bedding to reccommend for bunnies, since mine roamed the back yard 8D eventually we built a huge pen.
The grass was their bedding!..then they ate it all 8D
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aspen bedding works great and isn't harmful in any way . And I definately recommend Oxbow if you can find it (I don't have it where I live).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubie
Yeah, kiln dried pine is the same as regular ol pine, well, just as dangerous anyway.
Darn it, I have a whole big bag of it cause I read a few places that if it was kiln dried it was safe, or safer I guess. After I get him litter box trained, is it safe to put just in the litterbox?
~Jenn

Last edited by JennLin22; 05-30-2006 at 12:13 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

i have also read that it is dangerous to use wood chips around buns, but i know some of these ladies use that kind of stuff and don't have problems with it...

i prefer Carefresh bedding too... i just use it in their litter boxes though, the rest is newspaper that i let them tear up themselves.

the pellets i have are Kaytie brand, they have dried carrot and banana slices in them - but just a tip, make sure your bun is eating the pellets along with the "good" stuff... my buns eat it all, but some of these ladies' buns aren't - all buns are different

Last edited by jewels; 05-30-2006 at 01:03 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My vet told me not to use cedar or aspen bedding. Especially if your bun is always sitting in it. As almost everyone else i Use carefresh for bedding and Oxbow pellets. I dont think it would be harmful to finish your bag of bedding. My vet told me it was harmful over a long period of time. Make sure he doesn't eat it
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Playful Pup

I use Carefresh for litter and I love it. The rest of the babies' bedding is either sheets or towels, but they're pretty much litter trained (99% of the time) except for the miscellaneous poopies they drop here and there.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I can't wait to see the pictures!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieQC
My vet told me not to use cedar or aspen bedding. Especially if your bun is always sitting in it. As almost everyone else i Use carefresh for bedding and Oxbow pellets. I dont think it would be harmful to finish your bag of bedding. My vet told me it was harmful over a long period of time. Make sure he doesn't eat it
That's strange since aspen is one of the safest beddings...are you sure he didn't say pine?

I use aspen shavings in my rabbits' litterboxes and it works great . As far as bedding, my bunnies never really liked bedding...after all, they don't really nest like hamsters or mice. Some of my bunnies like to have a towel or blanket in the cage but Sparkie refuses to lay on anything besides plastic .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

aspen is just fine. and works great.
so does woody pet, or any other horse stall bedding. even wood stove pellets work great

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks guys!
I went to the city the other night and got a big bag of aspen. Too bad the bag of pine cost $5 and the same size of aspen cost $14! I'll have to shop around and see if I can find it cheaper. But as
long as he's healthy then a few extra dollars doesn't matter. He's already using his litterbox like a champ!
Still having trouble with a name for him...
~Jenn
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennLin22
Thanks guys!
I went to the city the other night and got a big bag of aspen. Too bad the bag of pine cost $5 and the same size of aspen cost $14! I'll have to shop around and see if I can find it cheaper. But as
long as he's healthy then a few extra dollars doesn't matter. He's already using his litterbox like a champ!
Still having trouble with a name for him...
~Jenn
I'd see if you can get it cheaper...that's really weird! Here aspen and pine are both around the same price...if anything, aspen is $1 more.

I'm glad he's using the litterbox already .

~Stephanie

Tags
aspen shavings, box trained, carefresh bedding, dried pine, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, litter box, litter box trained, litter boxes, litter train, litter trained, timothy hay, wood stove pellets