Food to use to Train my rabbit! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Red face Food to use to Train my rabbit!

I adopted a 3 1/2 year old, unneutered, male Dutch rabbit about a 2 years ago. Frodo is my little boy, but is quite stubborn! He doesnt reallly seem to favor any sort of food which makes it very difficult to train him or have any sort of relationship with him.

Any tips on some foods I could try as treats? How did you discover what foods to use for your own rabbit as a treat?
Any tips on training? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Betta Bomb

I bought those yogurt drops to make Acacia like me..Thyere not really healthy and most people will dis courage them but I seem to believe one treat a day won't harm her.Since my rexy Akina has weight issues,she gets raisens instead of yogurt treats.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 01:39 PM
is a little "special"

Smudge LOVES Healthy Toppings Papya treats, and he goes nuts for Yogies... But Yogies arent very good for buns at all, so they arent a good training treat. I also have some home made treats that he loves.
Keep in mind tho that some buns just dont have the attention span for training. Smudge knows a few tricks I thought him when he was younger, and he knows his name, but now he just cant stay still long enough to learn anything new LOL! Haha,most rabbits will pay attention for about 5 seconds, and hop off if they dont get a treat immediatly
Good luck with Frodo! <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

I understand what you mean - my Barnaby doesn't like treats much either. He's a veeery picky eater and never gets excited about food the way my other two rabbits do.

Berry and Ziggy go nuts for papaya tablets. I swear they would do anything for them. They love their food though so I can give them things like pieces of apple, carrot, stuff like that for a treat and they're happy.

Have you ever tried using toys instead of treats? That's what I do with Barnaby, he loves his toys. He'll run over to me if I have a toy for him but usually ignores me if I have food. Of course that probably wouldn't work unless your rabbit likes toys too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:59 PM

I used organic fruit baby food (apple usually) on a spoon most of the time as their treat. I gave them 1-2 licks per click (we clicker trained). I coudl give it to Shadow from my fingers...but Dee would bite my fingers if they had food on them. She sometimes takes the spoon in her teeth and tries to pull it away from me. It's the only treat she'll really work for though there are other things she enjoys.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:56 PM

I use cranberries and apple branches to train oliver. I did clicker training but he seems to prefer when i click with my mouth rather than the clicker. he knows his name and to jump on my lap.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 07:54 AM

sam is working on his name, but he'll do funny things for carrot leaves.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I am allergic to maths

Have you thought about getting him nuetered? As people have said, its near impossible to train buns but getting him nuetered should make him less stubborn and more open to you training him. Also it will help with any behaviorul problems he has or may develop due to hormones, but it wont help with him being such a fussy eater good luck!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 AM

Wait. Buns are NOT "near impossible" to train. They are harder than dogs or rats but they can be trained if you're willing to put the time and effort into it. My girls (who are not spayed) will:

1. Come when I call their name
2. Go to their cage and wait for me to close the door (like crate training a dog)
3. Stand stretched the whole way up when I ask them to "stand"
4. And I'm working on "place" - go to their bed in the corner under the table (we've been working on that for 3 weeks, they're improving)

--Dee will also follow a target stick anywhere I move it and will cross the room to "target" it.

They're also reliably litter trained - but I don't consider that a trick.

We train (or reinforce old things with clicks and treats) 15 minutes twice a day, or sometimes 3 times per day if I have the time. It takes patience and consistency. Work on one thing at a time. (And if you don't use a clicker it helps to use the same word (like, "yes") or the same sound (like snapping your fingers or clicking with your mouth) to indicate the correct behavior. My bunnies used to be afraid of the sound of a normal clicker but if you get one of the quieter clickers (like iClick) and put it in you jeans pocket to muffle it more that helps.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I am allergic to maths

Sorry, its just what it sounded like from the above posts. I have never owned a rabbit, I just thought I would mention nuetering since no-one else did. I thought it might help with training (now I know that it can still be done just as well without it), I am thinking about getting a bun myself and I know im not ready yet so thanks this info has helped me too
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:44 AM

Holly loves vegetables but since he's still only about 12 weeks I'm loathe to give them to him very much, I don't think he's had any for about two weeks. Right now he comes when called... sometimes... if he wants to get petted or to lick me, and that's about it! Though I try to use an action when I call him (tapping the floor or my leg while sitting) because I keep calling him different things, lol, he probably has no idea what his name actually is.

Tags
rabbit, training, treats