Foster bunny? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Foster bunny?

Everyone knows I have been wanting a third bunny that actually likes me. I tried to get that Momma bun but she was "sold". I have been searching around the internet for a large lop eared male but no one was really jumping out as being extra loveable like I want.
Well, every weekend I would see this sweet little dwarf bunny girl with himalayan markings. She has to have been there 6 weeks now. I asked the woman that brings them how much more time she thought this bun had. She admitted she was beginning to worry. I talked to Jay - who has been insisting NO MORE BUNS! Well when I told him her time was most likely coming up he agreed to let me foster her. She is just sweet as pie. She has already let me trim her nails. She lets me hold her and even put her head down for me to pet!
I have her in the small purple cage for the time being. My buns have come over and checked her out. I let oliver sniff her back and it went fine. I guess I stupidly thought magic had happened. I let her near Ophelia. MISTAKE NUMBER ONE. My timid little girl immediately bit Penelope's tush. I stuck my hand between them. MISTAKE NUMBER TWO. At least Ophelia didn't do any damage to Penelope. I cannot say the same thing for my knuckle. I deserved it though. I was the one being stupid. I am glad it was me and not Penelope that was bleeding tonight. I will not be making that mistake again. Besides I know fosters should not be let to play with the other buns. I just thought if it was love at first sight for them maybe we would keep her. I do wish I could let them play together. I guess bunnies don't work that way.

Now I have to get her into the foster program. I am hoping since I am willing to keep her at our house and pay for her spay they will let her in the program.

Even after the spat she still seems a LOT happier than she was earlier today at Petsmart. She is usually happy and playing in ther cage. This weekend she was totally depressed looking. I swear she gave up.

I gave her a small salad and she is eating it now. I am not sure if she ate any pelllets yet but she was checking them out. And I hope she picks up the bowl - I hate water bottles.
She was already cleaning herself. She ate some hay, too.

Sorry it's so long - I could just go on and on about the kids! I am one of those moms.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 11:22 PM

congrats, but jsut a question, did you do a quarantine from your other buns??
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

She was in the room right for a bit the first night but now she is in the back bedroom. Ophelia looked like she wanted to eat poor Penelope!
I am awful. My family was never big on quaranting. We had so many cats that it was almost impossible to keep them away from each other.
She has her first appointment with the vet next Saturday. Nothing was open this Saturday and the vet I use only has daytime hours.
I would take a half day to take her but I have to get MRI's and will need to take time off plus I will need to take a half day the day she is spayed.
She is doing really well! She was running around the back room doing the bunny 500 and binkying! Real binkies. Mine don't even binky like that. I was so worried that she would be happy. She is still in a cage that is too small for her. I didn't know if I had done the right thing. But now I am sure she is happier than at the SPCA.
Now I just have to figure out if I want to give up my dream of having a BIG lop eared boy bunny. She is the exact opposite of the bunny I want. But she is really sweet.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 AM

I am fostering my first bunny and it is hard not putting them together. My little dutch saw the foster bun for the first time last night. He kept smelling her but never saw her. Well last night he did and although I didn't allow him to touch her he wasn't happy. One thing is you don't want to do with a foster bun is allow them to bond with yours otherwise you will not be able to foster her out. If you want to keep her then put them in a cage side by side. It took mine about a week before I could allow them out together even for a short time. Then I had to have a spray bottle of water to keep them from nipping at each other. It took about 3 weeks before I could actually leave them together. If you bond the foster bunny and then adopt it out it will hurt her to leave the other two. And there is a chance that you won't be able to bond them. They may not like each other. I know it is hard to keep them apart. I just hope I don't have mine for a long time because I am becoming attach to her and I think my dutch would probably run away if I tried to bring in another bunny. I don't think he is too trilled with his little sister as it is.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Oh we are keeping her. That is if Ophelia lets us. It is too late for me. I am totally in love. At least my two get along wonderfully. It maybe because they are litter mates and both came into our house at the same time.
Hopefully, Ophelia will realize Penelope is a nice little bunny.
If Ophelia refuses to accept her I will need to find her another home. It would be too hard to try and split my time between all the kids. It's hard enough spending time with the dogs and then with the cats and buns. To have a third bunny in another place would be impossible.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
litter mates