Fostering this rabbit for a while - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Fostering this rabbit for a while

I'm fostering a fairly young rabbit through a local shelter(a 3 month old black silver marten), and was wondering if you all could answer me some questions regarding his odd behavior...

First off, he trembles quite a bit. Especially when I take him out of his cage. He's also breathing really hard while he does this. I'm guessing he's scared...but when I hold him close he'll lick me quite a bit while still trembling. His trembling usually takes about 10-15 minutes to subside. Is he just scared and finds comfort in having me around? Or is he seizuring or something lol.

He's currently sitting on the other side of the couch(he loves this couch) with his legs sprawled out behind him...just relaxing. Unfortunately, even while doing this, he's still trembling. I can't really understand why...

My second question is that when I put him down to free roam the apartment, he'll run away from me forever. I have to corner him and grab him to pick him up again. And of course once again, he'll lick me when picked up again...but is still trembling and breathing hard. Is he playing a game of chase, or does he just forget who everyone is when I put him on the open ground? So weird...

Anyways, thanks in advance for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Okay, right now it's also grinding its teeth and is still sprawled out as I mentioned before. I know soft grinding means happiness...but this is kinda loud. His relaxed position doesn't indicate he's in severe pain...but he very well could be. I'll get him to a vet if this goes any further.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i dont know rabbits well, i know if sheep grind their teeth loud when they are nervous.... can he hear a dog (watching animal planet are we?)? i know my friend said that if a rabbit can hear/see a dog they can become nervous enough that some even have heart attacks... maybe it is comfortable with you when your holding it but still is scared of actually being picked up... i dont know

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 08:14 PM

I asked the SAME questions when I found Ani one of my rescue bunnies. She too almost trembles when she breaths and she's not scared at all, it's just her. Kind of strange.

If he's spralled out with his legs behind him (not under) and grinding his teeth, most likely he is happy. Some bunny grind loudly, others very softley. My bunny Baby grinfd very loud, it's like he wants EVERYONE to hear how happy he is

Also, alot of bunnies don't like to be picked up, i pretty much have it chase all mine LOL.... they woudl rather stay out and play then go back to their pen/cage.

He sounds like a normal happy little bunny, do you have any pictures?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 01:03 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

He just sounds like a happy bunny to me . The tooth grinding is like purring....Sakura does it even before I pet her .

Also, I would avoid chasing him around. Instead teach him to go back into the cage on his own. Start by rounding him towards his cage (luring him with a treat if needed) and use a command word. When he goes in immediately reward with a treat. I've had several rabbits...they were all trained this way. Once they get the hang of things they start running back to their cages, hehe.

How much time is he getting to play before putting him back?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyman

First off, he trembles quite a bit. Especially when I take him out of his cage. He's also breathing really hard while he does this. I'm guessing he's scared...but when I hold him close he'll lick me quite a bit while still trembling. His trembling usually takes about 10-15 minutes to subside. Is he just scared and finds comfort in having me around? Or is he seizuring or something lol.

My second question is that when I put him down to free roam the apartment, he'll run away from me forever. I have to corner him and grab him to pick him up again. And of course once again, he'll lick me when picked up again...but is still trembling and breathing hard. Is he playing a game of chase, or does he just forget who everyone is when I put him on the open ground? So weird...

Anyways, thanks in advance for the input!
My rabbit trembles when he is upset, but maybe that is just my rabbit. Rabbits really like knowing what is going on; having the same schedule every day. If you let him out of his cage at the same time and put him back at the same time, it will make him more comfortable. Instead of lifting him in and out of his cage, it is better if he can go in and out by himself. I have a footstool in front of my cage. Feed him some greens twice a day. Make his feeding time when you want him back in the cage. Start by putting his food in his cage first, so it is waiting for him when he gets there. Pretty soon when it is time for his dinner and he sees you with his food, he should run to his cage and jump in.

Good luck!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

[QUOTE=Sasami]

, I would avoid chasing him around. Instead teach him to go back into the cage on his own. Start by rounding him towards his cage (luring him with a treat if needed) and use a command word. When he goes in immediately reward with a treat. I've had several rabbits...they were all trained this way. Once they get the hang of things they start running back to their cages, hehe.
QUOTE]

Great advice, Sasami. I think we were answering this post at the same time and I didn't get a chance to read your post before responding! One of these day I have got to get around to training my rabbits!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info and advice all...your thoughts were mine exactly...but things didn't turn out so well. A little after I posted this, I noticed an excessive amount of drool all around his chin and on his chest. He kept licking himself and trembling...so I put him back in his cage because maybe I thought he was extra scared of something. Right when I did...he went and dunked himself in the water bowl. His front paws and as much of his head as he could get were just lying in the bowl. It looked to me like he was overheating. He continued to tremble at this time, even more violently. This is when I decided to look up an emergency vet and head out...but by the time I had looked it up and was all ready to go, it was too late. The guy was face down in the cage and stiff as a board. Gone. I'm still extremely confused and bothered by what happened. I'll have to explain this to the rescue...maybe they'll know something in his past that could have contributed to this. I know rabbits can have heart attacks...but this looked more like a straight-up seizure to me. I know there are seizures that can last for a very long period of time...I might have gotten an epilleptic rabbit. Anyways, I'll keep you all updated as more is revealed.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 12:09 PM

grinding teeth is a sign of pain, its not like rats or g.pigs. Hes probly scared and needs time to adjust.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sorry about your loss. At least he was with someone who cared about him in his final hours.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 05:00 PM

wow. i wonder if he was diabetic. diabetics get so thirst and if thier sugars don't level out they can die that quick. but im not sure why the drule. the bunny was so cute and shiny though. sorrry wish i knew what happened
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Title Thief Victim

oh im really sorry..I had a rabbit that had a seizer she was about 5 months. I remeber it like it was yesterday...as it was so horrifing.. I let her out of the cage so she could play and she was fine...Then i went to go pick her up and put her in her cage and she had been out for like 3 hours and before I got to get her, I was like 5 ft away she just fell to the ground and starting rolling and trashing severly like 100 RPM i was horrified..I had my dad come and put her in the cage..we went to the vet..she has a seizer..came home w/meds..and she passed away that night.

i just wanted to share my experience with seizers. maybe it will help..maybe not..

But im very sorry!

Carissasaurus Rex

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am so sorry for your loss. He was a very pretty bunny.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentz
grinding teeth is a sign of pain, its not like rats or g.pigs. Hes probly scared and needs time to adjust.
Why Does My Bunny Do That?

Teeth grinding: This is a sign of contentment and happiness. It is a very light grinding sound and, when placing your hand on the side of her face, it will feel like a vibration from the molars. The eyes are often half closed.

I understand that teeth chattering and loud grinding is a sign of severe pain. I took the soft teeth grinding in conjunction with the relaxed position as a sign of happiness. Of course, it was something much deeper than that.

Tags
animal planet, emergency vet, local shelter, water bowl