Found a stray bunny - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Found a stray bunny

I found a stray bunny Tuesday night. He (She?) is obviously domesticated, and I'm probably going to end up keeping the little critter, since I've already put out the word in my neighborhood, and I can't find anyone who's looking for a lost bunny.

He's pretty happy in my apartment so far. He's very laid back - within an hour of my bringing him into my apartment Tuesday night, he was already lying on my carpet with his feet stretched out behind him. I remember when I lived with my sister when she adopted two bunnies, it took months before they were comfortable enough around us to relax that way. And this morning, when I let him out of his cardboard box to get some exercise, he actually came up to me and started licking my leg while I was sitting on the floor. So we're getting along great so far.

My biggest problem right now is that he keeps peeing on the carpet. He seems to hold it in, refusing to go while he's in the cardboard box all day and all night, then letting it out in the same corner of my dining room every time I let him out of the box for play time. Unfortunately, I don't have a litter box for him yet, though I started trying to get him to go in the dust pan that I keep using to clean up his solid droppings. I think he may sorta get the concept - he may even have been litter trained in his last home - but he's bigger than the dust pan, so his butt sticks out the back and he poops on the floor while sniffing the dust pan. On the way home from work today, I'm going to stop and buy a cat sized litter box for him, and I already have some Carefresh "bedding" material that I put in his cardboard box.

So my first question is pretty obvious: If he's not already litter trained, and I have to convince him to use the litter box, how do I do it? I know I have to put the litter box in the corner that he's already chosen as his designated bathroom, but how do I convince him to jump into the box before doing anything? I'm guessing there's an FAQ somewhere on how to litter train bunnies, so if someone could just point me in the right direction, I'll be good. Also, is Carefresh a good brand for bunny litter? My sister uses the recycled newspaper litter (I think it's called Yesterday's News?), but the pet shop I went to yesterday didn't have that.

My next question is about cages. As I said, he's in a cardboard box temporarily. It's a pretty big box, and it's locked in a kitchen closet with a tile floor. So he can't get out and rampage through the whole apartment, even if he jumps over the top or chews his way through a wall to get out of the box. For the day and a half that he's been with me, this has worked out fine, but obviously, I need to get him a real cage. Any recommendations for what to look for in a cage, where to buy them, etc?

Also, does anyone know any bunny vets in Palm Beach County, Florida? At the very least, the little guy needs a checkup, and I need to find out if it's a boy or a girl, not mention needing to be spayed/neutered if that wasn't already done. The House Rabbit Society in Miami has a web site with a couple of recommendations, but their web site seems VERY out of date. When I tried emailing them, the email bounced back, as the addresses on their web site are no longer valid.

Thanks in advance,

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Part of the Pack

Congratulations on your new found pet. It sounds as though he is very comfortable in your home!!! Please share pictures when you can. We all love pictures.

As you said, put the litterbox in the spot that bunny has chosen and fill it with litter and fresh hay. You may need to buy two litter boxes (one for the cage and the other in the play area). Start out with a small play area first until your bunny is showing progress using the litterbox. There was a couple of posts just recently on litter training rabbits. Check back and you may find it. Even if you just google "litter training rabbits" you will get a load of information.

My preference for cages is the NIC storage cubes. They are wire panels that have connectors that hooks them together. You will find them at places like Home Depot (most likely in the closet organizer sections). You can create a good size cage for about $30.00.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Congratulations! It sounds like you have got a good bun there. Teddy is the most friendly bun I have - and he was a stray.
Luckybunny is right - you need to post some pictures!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I can't really limit the size of his play area. I live in a small one bedroom apartment. The bedroom can't be bunny-proofed, so the door is closed while he's out of his box, and he has free run of the rest of the place. There's no doorway or other easily blockable division I could use to keep him in the dining room area and out of the living room, and the dining room is where he's been peeing and where his cage will eventually go.

I'm not sure about posting pictures - I don't actually own a camera. Animal Control is going to take a picture of him for their "found pets" web site, though, so I'll post that link once it happens. It'll probably be Sunday before I get him there to do that, though. Which brings up another issue I hadn't thought about - I need a carrier for him to travel in.

--Fromper
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 PM

You can always get an xpen to corral him. They have them for dogs and kids. The one I have is from when my nephew was a baby.
I use cat carriers to transport my buns. I also have some bags that look like purses - but I don't know if you would want to get one of them.
I just put a towel in the bottom and put in some hay.
I also will seat belt the carrier in the best I can - or place it on the floor in the backseat - where it cannot move too much.

Good luck with him. I think he is will your bun furever! I don't think a lot of stray buns are missed by their previous owners. It's really sad.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

agh if only u were in orlando i wuld'v givin u some good vets but use the yyellow book it really helped me finding some vets.
ohh and congratz! do u know wat kind it is?

I LOVE MY BABIES:
OREYO & CARAMELA ( BUNNIES)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

( RIP oreyo & caramela i love you
)
COTTEN & CANDY ( PARAKEETS)

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Part of the Pack

I would recommend a carrier that has a door on top to lift the bunny out. If I didn't have one on top...I'd have to dump the bunny out...especially at the vet.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I was looking at carriers when I bought his litter box after work tonight. Pet Smart has a cat carrier that's mostly thick plastic (too thick for him to chew through), with metal doors on the front and top. That looked like my best bet, and it's perfect for his current size, but I think he's still growing.

They have a lot of soft, fabric carriers for cats and small dogs these days, and I just keep thinking that a rabbit would chew his way out of that in about 10 seconds.

I'm not sure about his breed, as I don't know much about bunny breeds. He's not a lop, since his ears are straight, and I'm pretty sure he's too big to be a dwarf and too small to be a giant. I'm used to my sister's first three bunnies who were 8-10 lbs, and this guy is definitely a few pounds smaller than that.

I'd guesstimate he's at around 4-5 lbs, with mostly light red hair, white underbelly, and a little bit of black mixed in on one ear. But I'm pretty sure he's still growing, just based on the fact that I couldn't tell his gender two days ago, and now I'm pretty sure he's male. I've been told you can set your watch by bunny puberty, so that would make him almost exactly 4 months old. I have to give him another day or two to make sure that what I'm seeing down there is what I think it is, though.

--Fromper
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

I use a gaint soft fabric carrier for my two bunnies, I've been using if for as long as I've had Zeus, so almost 2 years, and have never had any problems with it. Suprisingly they don't chew on it at all - and I've taken them on some pretty long trips, 5-6 hour ones.

I put an old towel on the bottom of it, then some hay on top of that. I also give them some fruit or veggies to munch on if they want to, to help keep them hydrated between stops (if it's a long trip).

It's usually really oveous if you have a male bunny. If you can't see his testicles and it's sexually mature, then you probably have a female. But you can tell from looking at the genitals themselves, even if the testicles have not decended yet. Just google "sexing rabbits" and you should be able to find some helpful websites that show the diffrences between the boys and the girls.

NIC's make awesome cages, you can design them however you want. Rabbits generally don't like going to the bathroom where they sleep (some do, I didn't say all, but I've never had a rabbit who liked to sleep where they went pee), so that could be why he doesn't want to go in the box. When you get him a cage, let him choose which corner he wants to use as a bathroom, then put the litterbox there.

That's awesome that you found the little guy and want to keep him. Sadly, alot of people set their rabbits 'free' when they don't feel like taking care of them anymore. But domestic rabbits don't usually last long out on their own. He's lucky you found him

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:11 PM

Luckybunny - I have had the problem of the bunny not wanting to come out of the carrier at the vets -so the vet and I just took the carrier apart and removed the top. She did as much of the examine as she could with the bun sitting in the carrier.
My friend has the same problem with her cat - he actually gets shots and everything in it.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i would put a litter box in the cage right away too, since you said he was holding it in the box it looks like he might be litter trained or easy to train...

congrats on the bun. i wish i found one. hehe.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

How did you catch him?? When I lived in my other house, I would let my bunnies in the yard but had such a hard time catching them.

This vet might be too far, but she's very experienced::
http://www.exoticanimalcare.com/
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieQC View Post
How did you catch him?? When I lived in my other house, I would let my bunnies in the yard but had such a hard time catching them.
He wouldn't let me near him at first, but I was coming home with a bag of groceries, so I put down the bag and pulled out a baby carrot. He actually didn't know what it was at first, but I tossed it to him, and he came up and sniffed it, then started chowing down. I tried to pet him then, but he backed off, leaving part of the carrot. So I tossed it to him again, then approached again as he ate. After repeating this a couple of times, he let me get close and pet him, at which point I was able to grab him and carry him back to my apartment.

Not coincidentally, I've been using pieces of carrot to lure him where I want him to go (his cage, his litter box, out from under the couch, etc) ever since.

Quote:
This vet might be too far, but she's very experienced::
http://www.exoticanimalcare.com/
As I mentioned in the other thread, that's actually the same vet's office where I made an appointment for a checkup this Wed morning. It's probably about half an hour drive from me. There's one "exotic" vet that's a little closer to me, in Green Acre, but looking at their web pages, the one down in Broward County seems to be more focused on bunnies, and it shouldn't be that much longer driving time.

--Fromper
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Ahh...the power of baby carrots!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
animal control, cardboard box, house rabbit, house rabbit society, litter box, litter boxes, litter train, litter trained, litter training, pet shop, rabbit society