Frodo is Home!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Frodo is Home!!

We got her home about 5:30, of course Ryland went a little nuts but overall I was very impressed. He sat next to her cage, leaned inside it a few times, and for the most part waited for her. She came to the door and even hopped out once. She's extremely social and the previous owner had a 3-year-old so it's perfect.

The previous owner also said that she will tolerate a leash. Not to be led around but like you can take her outside and she'll chill in the grass, etc while the harness is on! So as soon as I have some spare cash I'll be getting one.

I emailed to ask what fruits/veggies she'd been giving her like you all suggested. She did mention that carrots turn her urine bright orange. She also mentioned that she'd need her nails clipped soon - can I do this or do I have to have a vet do it?

Ry is in bed now so I opened up her cage and after about 5 minutes she came out and is now checking things out. Here are a few pics.

And 2 questions: Can I give her cabbage? And how are rabbits with heat? It's not hot here yet but we have a completely walled in (not screened or covered) patio where Ry plays a lot, could I let her out there? Will she come in if she gets too hot, etc?

She's SO social!! I just called her over and she came and kind of laid down and just let me pet her!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07176.jpg (37.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07183.jpg (58.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07175.jpg (55.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07182.jpg (51.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07185.jpg (28.8 KB, 6 views)

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

she's gorgeous!!! Ry looks so intrigued by her!!!!! How many carrots was she feeding her? My girls get carrots fairly often (people will debate that you shouldn't give a rabbit carrots but none of my rabbits have ever had problems) and their urine never goes orange....however male rabbits will pee orange or even red....is she sure it's a girl? I do the girls nails at home. It's a two person job. Alex holds them stretched out and grabs their back legs tight so they can't kick and I clip them. I just use human nail clippers. Take care though they have really long quicks so don't get too cut happy!!! Usually the human nail clippers won't be wide enough to cut them all the way back like a human nail...so I turn them on the side and it works that way. We actually don't own a pair of animal clippers...Biscuit doesn't need her nails trimmed (wears them down herself) and Milko and the bunnies just get human clippers!
If she has access to the cooler inside then she should be ok. But rabbits get heat stroke pretty easily so I'd be careful. Look for panting (their whole body pants) and feel the inside of her ears. If they are really hot, she's too hot, spray her ears with cool water and give her ice bricks!!! They aren't as fragile with the heat as chinnies but thy need to be abloe to get cool!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Thanks Carmen! It's not very hot here yet, and when it is we don't go out between 10 and 2 so she should be ok, but I appreciate the tips!

Isn't she pretty?!? Turns out I am allergic but I think as long as I take my Claritin and wash my hands after touching her I'll be ok.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

She's really cute!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

You're welcome!!! Mine have survived 117 degree days, with no a/c so they do cope but they do get stressed too. Just keep an eye on her! I'm sure you will and so you shouldn't run into problems!
That sucks that you are allergic...at least she is short haired...you'd be in trouble if she was long haired...fur everywhere let me tell you!!!! If lox is willing, get him to give her a quick brush through regularly, it should help you out heaps with your allergies by avoding bunny fur all over the place.
I forgot to mention the cabbage thing too....I personally wouldn't. I try and steer clear of foods that might make them gassy cause they can't release the gas! I also don't eat cabbage so I'm not buying it just for them when they'd only get a tiny amount if I ever did anyway. So if you do I'd say a really small amount, as a treat, and not too often...just incase!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:19 PM

Oh she is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!!! Congrats!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

She IS beautiful! Kids and bunnies, can't get much cuter than that
I cut the rabbits' nails at home using dog nail trimmers or small wire cutters...it IS a two person job but play with her feet a lot without trimming helps them get used to their feet being handled. Lucky usually has to be wrapped up burrito style with one leg out at a time though. If you aren't comfortable doing them yourself or you would like the vet techs to show you how, they usually have no problems doing that. I know we charge $7.50 for nail trims at our office no matter what species.
As for the cabbage, I agree with Carmen. Mine DO get it, but only a small amount once in a great while as a treat. They do like it though. Mine also like carrots. I give them a small peice of carrot each about once a week or so.
Heat, heat can indeed be an issue. Not like with chins, but if it's going to be 80 degrees or more, I'd give frozen water bottles to snuggle with or just keep them in the A/C. My buns are house buns, so they are inside all the time. Those really hot days when the A/C doesn't keep up, I give them the frozen water bottles. That usually is enough to do it

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:31 PM

Shes beautiful Christi. When we had David we did give him carrots not many and not often.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

I asked about the cabbage because I have a whole head of it in the fridge that I haven't cooked yet. We're out of carrots, figures, huh? LOL I do have apples, asparagus, green beans and squash! LOL But of course none of those are on the "ok" lists I've found, although someone in my other thread said they've fed asparagus...

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

She's really cute! "Red urine" (thats what its called) is harmless (as long as its not blood) and is caused by excess vitamins. Sonora gets it once in awhile when I feed her certain things. I do give her carrots and I've never had any health problems with her. I do their nails myself, but it is really hard with both my rabbits. If I were closer to my vet, I would have her do it, but I can do it myself. I wrap them in a towel and put them on their backs. They usually throw a fit no matter what I do though.

Congrats!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh, and I give mine a small amount of cabbage sometimes because I give them a pre-made salad mix once in awhile. I think its fine in small amounts. I think too much can possibly cause gas, but its never happened to mine.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

She's adorable! Congratulations!

Rhonda

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Thanks!! Another question, the PO has a plastic slinky in her cage for her to chew on... is that safe??

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I don't have a ton of rabbit experience but I would have to say no to plastic stuff.

Rhonda

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

That was my instinct. I'll take it out and get her some wooden chew sticks tomorrow. Is cardboard ok?

Wife to an amazing man,

|

Tags
dried corn, netherland dwarf, sunflower seeds, vet tech