the furminator - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

the furminator

I've been reading some pretty positive reviews on the Furminator, a deshedding tool. While I don't have one, I was thinking about purchasing one. I've read it can be used on rabbits. Both Dude and Ruby won't eat pineapple and Dude is a huge shedder. I always cringe when I see Ruby grooming him. I've convinced myself that Dude's last cagemate, Pip, died from a hairball and I don't want the same thing to happen to Ruby.

Has anyone used this tool before on a rabbit?

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:15 PM

What does it do?? (sorry dont know much about it!)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I know someone who has one and it works great with their dog but barely does anything for their rabbit. I think it's because rabbit fur is much thinner?

What kind of rabbits do you have?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Tara - The Furminator is a deshedding tool that helps get rid of the dead undercoat. It's primarily used on dogs and cats, but I have read that it can be used with rabbits, ferrets, etc. It stops shedding by about 90% which is why I was wondering about it. If it would work on Dude, then I wouldn't have to worry so much about Ruby ingesting so much of his hair when she is grooming him.

Stephanie - Dude is a Holland Lop and Ruby is a Dutch.

~ Debrya
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

How is Dude doing? Did his head tilt get any better?
I don't know how to groom my bunnies. Oliver and Ophelia barely want to be touched. Penelope is a bit better but not by much. At least they all will eat pineapple and papaya.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Dude's head tilt is still the same..... it hasn't gotten better. I guess I was too late in getting him the meds? At least he doesn't walk in circles as much as he used to. His latest "thing" going on is a runny eye. The eye affected is the one that is tilted toward the ground. That lop ear of his hides it from my site so I didn't notice the goopiness at first. I brought him to the vet and was given an eye ointment for him. It's better now but still gets a little runny at times.

I have a hard time grooming my buns too. I can't find any kind of brush that works on them. Usually I just go out in the yard, hold them, and stroke their fur with my hand as it flies away. And sometimes I roll a lint roller over them... but I go thru so many sheets that way!

Thanks for asking about Dude. I've been reading about your bonding attempts with your buns. I must have really gotten lucky that Ruby and Dude took to each other so fast.

~ Debrya
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 07:17 PM

thank you for explaining...i googled it and there are quite a few crazy pictures out there! wonder if their liquid stuff 'shed ease' or something like that i think it was called...would work on your bun?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I have the furminator and my dogs hate it...its a little hard to use cause it seems to pull their fur, I am not sure if it would be easier or harder on a bunny...my grandma uses it on her short hair cat and it works good but not on my long haired dogs very well...I hope it does work for your bunny cause I know how hard it is to find grooming tools for the sweet ones (I fostered a bunny a few years ago and he was so hard to groom seemed to always shed and I worried about hairballs as well)

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:18 PM
can't think of one, help

I have used a flea comb on my bunnies, but with anything you have to be very careful because bunnies have very fragile skin. I have also just used a rubber glove to pet them with. Again be very careful not to cause skin damage.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Part of the Pack

I bought a de-shedding comb the other day at a close-out store, for pretty cheap. its not the furminator, but seems to work on the same principal. The cats love it, although it doesn't work quite like the furminator does in the commercials. It didn't work at all on my rabbits, but they have long hair, and its so fine, the comb didn't go into the coat at all. I use a plastic cat slicker brush on the buns for shedding, its gentle and works pretty well. good luck!

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am glad tp hear even though Dude has his head tilt he is still doing better. I am sure that he doesn't even mind it any more. Tabby would get goopie eye sometimes. I had something for it but I would just wipe it with a warm rag.

I also just run my sweaty hands over the buns to groom them. I am getting tons of hair off of Penelope that way. I had to ask if it was normal in another thread. I worry about Oliver and Ophelia since they don't like me touching them.

And I was spoiled bonding Oliver and Ophelia. It went well. I think it may be that opposite sexes bond easier. I'll let you know when I begin to bond Penelope and Oliver.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy

I guess I was a little too late...

Ruby passed away some time during the nite.
I can't even believe this. She wasn't even a year old! I can't help but think it was a hairball again. I know it wasn't heat stroke... cuz both are indoor bunnies now. She seemed so healthy. I am devastated. I haven't even taken her out of the pen yet cuz I want to make sure that Dude has said his goodbyes.

I'm at a loss. Will Dude get all depressed again like he did after Pip died? Do I find him another cagemate? Or will Dude's shedding do another bunny in? I feel like it is all my fault. Why am I having such bad luck with bunnies?

I'm not looking forward to breaking the news to my kids when they get home from school. Man, this sucks.

~ Debrya
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Oh I'm so sorry! That's sad.

You could try getting another bun if you think the one you have left will be lonely. There are some things you can do for hairballs if that's what you think was the problem. I brush Zeus just with a normal cat brush and it gets a lot of the hair off. You can also add things to their diets that help control hairballs. I've seen stuff made for it in stores, but I just give Zeus paypia tablets for treats and some pineapple in with his dinner. He's never had any problems with hairballs even though he sheds like crazy.

Anyways, I'm really really sorry for your loss!

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 10:03 AM

i'm so sorry for your loss
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I just took Ruby out of the pen. That was hard. <sigh>

I could never get Ruby and Dude to eat pineapple which is why I've always been so nervous about hairballs. Pip didn't care for it either. Papaya tablets? I don't know that I've ever seen those. I will have to check into that. I wonder if he would take them. I've tried other types of fruit and he is never interested.

Now a cat brush? I haven't tried that either. My hand always seems to work the best but I can never get ALL that loose fur off him.

I still can't believe this happened. <sigh> I miss her already.

~ Debrya

Tags
holland lop, humane society, pet store, pet stores, romaine lettuce, timothy hay