Gaining rabbit trust... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Gaining rabbit trust...

Blackjack is not exactly fond of us humans, or the cat. It was recommended to me by the humane society that I leave his cage door open so that he can socialize at his own rate, as long as I keep an eye on him. We have made progress, just not much. He refuses to eat anything but paper & his litter (carefresh)and still won't come near me, even when approached slowly. Tried winning him over w apples, but no luck there either. I don't have much experience bonding with rabbits...can anyone offer me any ideas? He's been with us for 6 days, maybe I am rushing him?

We are all teachers on this earth, let's act like we know what we're doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:36 AM

Umm...well maybe you should let the rabbit roam around the house you watch from a FAR distance...and also is this bun from a shelter or a store.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Tabatha was easy for me - then again I didn't know anything about rabbits at the time so maybe she hated me in the beginning! Anyway I have always learned that the quickest way to anyones heart is through thier stomach! Some of Tabatha's favorite treats are - raisins, oranges, pinapple, and baby food (veggies and fruits). She also loves bananas (but not baby food bananas - they have an odd taste) I have had her for 4 months now and I know she loves me! I am positive in the beginning I was only the "lady that gave me yummy things" to her but now I really think she just loves me! It takes time to prove to them that you will take care of them and love them for who they are. Don't worry it's not even a week.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 12:26 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

it is going to take some time - Charlie was a neglected bun someone dumped at a pet store and he took a lot of time, while Daisy was raised in the pet store and has come around rather easily

when you're giving him a treat, instead of trying to get him to take it from your hand, try laying in front of him (or just put it in his dish) so he sees you put it there and back away and let him get it in his own time. since you touched it, it will have your scent on it and he'll pick up on that and slowly he'll begin to come up and take it from your hand. this will also make it easier to pet him because he'll associate your hand with good things. the more you pet him you'll notice his favorite "petting spot" (for Charlie it's his ears and forehead, while Daisy likes her rump rubbed) and he'll let you pet him more if you'll pet that spot

it is going to take some time, you may just have a shy little bunny who may need a little extra time. don't feel discouraged, he will come around and once he does he will love you forever - and you just can't beat quiet sincere bunny love, nose twitches and all
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

He was from the humane society ^

I have been letting him roam around at his own will, which has been going fine until last night. He found his way under my bed and refuses to come out. I don't mind this, really, I even put a litter box by the corner of the bed, but he wont come out to get anything to drink. I am going to try moving his cage over by the bed too, and see if he'll get a drink then.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:32 PM

I don't know about bunnies but I have had many kitties do this. I know cats can go without water for a while but I am not sure about bunnies.
Good luck with him!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yes!!

We have progress!! Early this morning (around 3) I got out of bed to get a drink, and there sat Blackjack, looking up at me. He got into the flight position, so instead of grabbing him & sticking him in the cage, I reached down to pet his nose & he didn't run away!! He wasn't even scared! Got out of bed this morning and he let me do the same thing! I am so happy!
We did go through the lesson that fake flowers are not edible, though.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

GREAT!!!!
im very gald for you, thats wonderful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 12:24 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

that's excellent!
that was a great idea not to grab him!!
maybe that was all he needed to start trusting you
bunnies are as fickle as people, as you've already found out
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Newborn Pup

Smile

"am going to try moving his cage over by the bed too, and see if he'll get a drink then."

That's too funny...the things we do for our bunnies! Your bunny is just getting used to you. My bunny Flopsy and I didn't like each other at first (yeah, I know I know) but then we became best buds and she's my baby girl. I would do anything for her and Eeyore. Good luck!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 01:43 PM

I still cannot believe how much my life has changed since Tabatha hopped into it! My entire schedule revolves around her feeding and medications. And I wouldn't have it any other way! She is the best!!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I find dried Cranberries to be a favorite treat.
When my boys first came home I would lay down on the floor by them or their cage, and they would hop around me and explore me, soon enough they took hand treats and let me pet them.
It can take quit some time, specially with neglected/abused animals, but it sounds like your guy is comming around!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 10:57 AM

How did he do last night?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Same thing, we haven't got any further than that yet. Still won't take any treats though. Thats okay. I am going to call a recomended vet from the humane society--the ones that will give a free exam to an adopted pet. I want to check out that sore spot on his back.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Newborn Pup

Isn't it awesome when you make the slightest bit of headway with these buns?!!! I'm so thrilled for you! My Princess Midnight would not let me touch her at all for WEEKS after she first came home. My heart was broken!

She is still a fickle bun but jumps on me, licks me and lets me pet her now ... on HER terms! She's been with me for 3 months now and still to this day will not let me pick her up.

We just have to respect their different personalities and in the true sense of being a "bun-slave", let them dictate to us what to do next. They literally rule! LOL!

I've also found though that I get the MOST attention and love from Midnight when I am totally and completely IGNORING her!! What a silly girl! When I'm sitting on the computer or just in her area reading a book instead of admiring her and all of her silly bunny antics, she is all over me!

Congrats again on this progress ... you'll get a little further bit by bit. I just hope bunny starts eating and drinking better. Keep us posted!

Mimi

Tags
cage door open, humane society, litter box, pet store, romaine lettuce, water bowl