Geting a Bun Bun!! .... what breed? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Geting a Bun Bun!! .... what breed?

So I use to own littel Dwarf rabbits about a year and a half ago. My mom has this 'cage' that she use to keep her ducks in but our last ones died off about a year ago. So We've decided to get bun buns again. The outside area of their pen (yeah, pen is a better word than cage) is about 8ft+ in length and a little over 4ft in width with special 'catch free' netting going up aprox. 3'6"inches with a netting 'roof' for protection from hawks and the like. The inside is part cement to keep them cool in summer and a hidy house with some carpetish type material to keep warm while outside is all dirt with more special 'catch free' netting about 6inchs under the dirt. I am hoping they will like their pen, the whole reason I am posting is we would like to get slightly larger breeds since this is a larger area for them. We would like two males or two females for obvious reasons. So I wanted to get some suggestions for larger breeds that would be good for inside outside pens. I fell in love with English Agora but thier coats would mat much too easily outside. We are also hoping to adopt our new bun buns

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 02:02 PM
is a little "special"

Personally, I love my Dutch buns <3 Theyre more of a small-medium than a large breed (they typically get around 5lbs), but they do pretty well outside, have a good temperment, and are pretty energectic. Angoras would probably get too hot in the summer with their think coats anyway.
Ive always loved Flemish giants but I dont know if you want to go THAT big (20+ lbs)! I havent done alot with them, but they seem pretty sweet ^^

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 06:52 PM

French lops, maybe? Or of course Flemish giant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, definitely avoid Angoras. I have one and I don't even take her outside if the grass is damp, haha.

Instead of looking for a particular breed, have you considered just visiting a shelter or rescue and seeing if you fall in love with anyone there? They often have purebred rabbits--and mixed breeds can make just as good pets anyways!

As far as specific breeds go, though, I'm rather partial to Californian rabbits. They're hardy, large but not huge, and extremely calm and snuggly.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Yeah, definitely avoid Angoras. I have one and I don't even take her outside if the grass is damp, haha.

Instead of looking for a particular breed, have you considered just visiting a shelter or rescue and seeing if you fall in love with anyone there? They often have purebred rabbits--and mixed breeds can make just as good pets anyways!

As far as specific breeds go, though, I'm rather partial to Californian rabbits. They're hardy, large but not huge, and extremely calm and snuggly.

I poked around at some local shelters and had not luck. I am going to try some shelters that are a little more of a drive but over all if I find two that I love then I am good hehe. Yeah I love how the Angoras look but for where these guys will be living their furr would be a mess and I couldn't live with that. A friend of ours knows a breeder expecting to wean some babies off in about two weeks. They are rex lop mixes I believe. I also don't really think this is a 'good' breeder I think he bought some pet store rabbits and breed them but we will see how that goes.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keieeeye View Post
French lops, maybe? Or of course Flemish giant.
The lops look too cute! I am a little worried about those ears and having an indoor ourdoor pen. I am mostly worried about them getting a fox tail or something in their ear(s) like our dogs do sometimes.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post

Ive always loved Flemish giants but I dont know if you want to go THAT big (20+ lbs)! I havent done alot with them, but they seem pretty sweet ^^
whow!!! 20lbs!! If I thought the pen would be large enough I would be all for it. I know it's large enough to hold about... 8 or 10 Dwarfs comfortably I just want to make sure that they are not cramped in some teny tiny place.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM

How about a New Zealand?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_baby View Post
How about a New Zealand?
I have emailed a woman about some New Zealand's she is selling so we will see how that goes. She has 5 bucks and 1 doe so I am thinking that if things go well. We should be getting two little boys but once again we will see. I wish I had $2,000.00 so I could go out and buy a billion bunny toys lol.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

There are plenty of things that bunnies loove to play with that don't cost any money at all! I buy my bunners tons of toys, but they always seem to enjoy the free ones more. A favirote around here is just old cardboard boxes with doors and windows cut out.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 PM

Good luck on your new zealands, they are really sweet buns
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Got the Bun Buns!

I got two little boys, a black and a brown almost fawn colored one. However on his tummy he is a blueish grey color! very cool. I am trying to decide on names right now, I let them check out there new home and watched them for a while just to see if they did manage to find an escape area, they can get out of this large enterance to their pen so I want to add another 'hook' latch near the bottom to see if this can dispose of my problem. They are a little over 7-8ish weeks old and their dad was BEAUTIFUL and not to mentchion BIG lol

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Congratulation on your beautiful bunnies! Please post pictures if you can. Just be sure to separate them or neuter them before they reach maturity.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:47 AM

The light brown with blue-grey could be sooty fawn - my minilop is broken sooty fawn and he has little patches of blue-grey too. Most people who ask me what colour he is give me blank looks when I tell them, lol.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

[QUOTE=keieeeye;554980]The light brown with blue-grey could be sooty fawn QUOTE]

I looked up some images last night and the picture/description that seemed to match Ivan (the brown and blueish one) seemed to be what is called a Tortoise. However he doesn't seem to have the dark points on his ears or nose but he is still young and 'it' said that the darker points usually come in adult hood.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Tags
breed, large, rabbit, rabbit adoption