getting a bunny! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

getting a bunny!

Hey guys,
I have finally found a breeder of harlequin dutch rabbits in my area and will be getting one in a few weeks. I'm so excited! The only question I have is that the breeder told me at Easter they will be 4 weeks old. From what I have read, this is too young for a rabbit to be weaned, is this correct? I would much rather wait a few more weeks before bringing one home than end up with an unhealthy baby. Thanks for any info.
~Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

omg...far too young!!

The youngest i had was almost 7 weeks old and only came to me as his mum was turning nasty on them all.Even though she was now seperated from them..she was going nuts.
He was so tiny too..id never do it again poor mite he stayed in bay frame of mind up till he died.

Our other house bun was almost 12 weeks old..id say 8-10 weeks is the earliest you should take the bunny...still tiny enough to humanise by handling a lot every day.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Whoa. That's way too young . I'd be wary of any breeder that gave you that kind of info...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:06 AM
Playful Pup

As a breeder myself i would never nevere even consider allowing someone to take any of my babies before they are 8 weeks old. And i would never buy a baby that was any younger than that. Babies need the nutrients they receive from mom to devolp right and taking that source of nutrition away from them to early can cause health issues in the future!