Getting the Stains Out - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Getting the Stains Out

What do you all use to get Rabbit Pee stains out of Carpet?

I'm useing Natures Miracle right now, and it' just not doing a good enough job on my cream coloured carpets.

I use a Water/Vinager mixture for the rest of my pet cleanings, but havn't used that on carpet yet, anyone tryed it? does it work well on carpet/fabrics?

Thank You.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

hi..i find that you must mop up as much we as possible with absorbent tissue etc...then get a sparay bottle and fill with white vinegar..NO water...and squirt it onto the stain and slightly over the edge of it..
Meanwhile get an old clean toothbrush dipped in warm water so its moist..and gently using lots of little circualr motions working from the inside out and then the outside in..grind the vinegar in.
Leave for a few seconds then blot..
I have found NOTHING as effective as this method!
I have a steam buddy steam cleaner and i then steam the stain..stinks of vinegar but it really lifts it all off...

Is it that bun needs neutering etc or is it just accidents around tray? Many folks use doggy house breaking floor pads called wee wee pads under or around the litter pan to absorb any leaks!
If like my problem was it may well be a territory issue..oscar does it whenever ive had visitors in and he disapproves! And shows it by peeing on my pink sofa!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Baby is neutered, and so is his bonded partner.
He dosn't even use the litter pan so it seems, not outside of the condo/hutch. I have put a large pan out the door of there hutch surounded with there X-Pen, in hopes this will start teaching him. I also put their hay there now too.
He never seems to do it when i'm around, i've caught him 2 times and that's it. This is now becoming more frequesnt too, 1 or 2 times a day!
I've had the boys only a month, they are 1 and 2/3 years old (Baby is the older) but this never happend untill up to 2 weeks ago.

I'm getting pretty tired of cleaning my carpet over and over and over again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

do you have hay in your litter boxes?
make the litterboxes fun for them. use hay, hide treats, etc.
rabbits usually pick one stop to go in. just put the litter box in the spot they keep going in. if its a few diff ones you can make litterbox from cardboard (throw away often) and just narrow them down slowly after they get good about going in them.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I have hay in the big pan I put in their X-Pen off the hutch.
Yesterday Baby peed in it and i praised him like crazy and gave him treats!
As for where he goes, well it's kinda in the same area of my living room, but not just one spot. I'm still trying to work the stains out.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

mmm try mopping up the wee with paper towel from kitchen and then put the wee filled paper towel in pieces in his tray...i did that with bif..worked like a charm!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

great idea!!!
i betcha that will work

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebumble
mmm try mopping up the wee with paper towel from kitchen and then put the wee filled paper towel in pieces in his tray...i did that with bif..worked like a charm!
excellent idea, I will try that!

AND, second night in a row No Pee on the Carpet! YEAY, lets hope he can keep this up!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Newborn Pup

Great idea Purplebumble. Mine go on puppy pads, but refuse to go on the puppy pads in the cage. Also, I use OxyClean and it seems to do the job.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:36 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

the white vinegar, not dilluted, is the key - rabbits will go to the same spot if they smell "their smell", the vinegar breaks down the chemical compound in urine and eliminates the smell.

and yes, vinegar doesn't have a pleasant smell, but it does work - even if the stains are old, spray them anyway, even if you have already cleaned the spot it needs to be sprayed with vinegar (if you haven't already)

Tags
litter box, litter boxes, litter pan