GI Stasis? New Lop Mom Needs Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

GI Stasis? New Lop Mom Needs Help!

I have had bunnies for a couple of years, but Jingle is my first Holland Lop. I got her in early December and she has been fine up until Friday evening. I got home from work and found her food and water untouched. She had soft stool stuck to her behind, which I promptly cleaned off. She is somewhat interested in food, but when she nibbles, she will stop chewing, then stretch her head out like she's having trouble swallowing. She's barely eating, I'm syringing water into her. Very few poops. They are still soft and of varying sizes.

I put a call into my local vet (who is an hour away) and they are not bun savvy. She told me to give her pineapple juice for hairball. I'm seriously freaking out here. I love this little girl and I don't want to see her in pain, much less dying!

This morning she had loud intestinal gurlging and I gave her some simethicone and massaged her tummy like I had read on another site. I've been doing that on and off since 5 a.m. She still has quite a bit of spunk, and I'm pretty sure she hates me right now, but I can't sit and watch.

There is a good bun vet in Evansville, IN, which is nearly 2 hours from me, but they aren't in until tomorrow at 8. What can I do in the meantime? Should I take her in? I read conflicting advice about stress, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

you may want to bring her to the vet. whats her diet like ?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I've had her on a pellet/oat mix and oat hay since I brought her home. Fresh water changed twice daily. I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what brought this on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It sounds like this might have been caused by diet. Oats can be fed as a very occasional treat but they shouldn't be part of the main diet. There's a good chance your pellet brand has oats already...in which case I wouldn't offer any extra oats. What pellets do you feed and how many?

Oat hay is a good supplemental hay but it might not be the best as the staple hay. Can you get timothy hay, meadow hay, or orchard grass? Those are all better as staples. Oat hay can be too "rich" for some buns, especially babies.

If you can get Critical Care (an Oxbow product) give her that using a syringe. No matter what, you need to get food in her stomach asap. Is she drinking?

I would definitely bring her to the bunny-savvy vet as soon as you can. Good luck and please keep us updated!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

No, the oats are actually in the mix. It's VitaKraft brand. I got it at PetSmart when I got her and I have had her on it the whole time. The pet store I got her at recommended oat hay. I know she can't have alfalfa, and she's had some timothy here and there, but mainly oat hay as her grass. I can't get any critical care at this point. No one around here has it. She's not eating. She's not drinking. I have been using a dropper to get water to her, but she's fighting me now.

The bunny vet I found online opens at 7:30 tomorrow. I'm going to call from the road. I figure if I show up they'll see us.
I'm really afraid I'm going to be too late. :*(
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That brand is pretty sugary and full of fillers. Usually Oxbow and Sweet Meadow Farm are recommended. Peter's and Kaytee Timothy Complete are also decent.

Alfalfa is actually OK for baby rabbits but you're right that it's not a good staple hay (I'd also only feed it if the pellets don't have any alfalfa at all...most do). Timothy hay is what most people feed.

She absolutely needs to be eating and drinking. Her fighting you is actually good, that means she hasn't given up. Are there ANY emergency vets that you could go to? Maybe one that isn't bunny-savvy but would be willing to learn?

Also, maybe it would be worth a shot to call a bunny-savvy vet not in your area for suggestions: http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

The above website is pretty useful overall.

Since you can't get Critical Care, use your blender to grind some pellets and mix it with water and something tasty like banana. Add enough water so that you can give the liquid by syringe (or dropper, if she's more cooperative).

Where are you located? Maybe someone on here will know of a vet.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sorry I took so long to reply! I got Jingle to a bunny savvy fellow about an hour and 45 minutes away first thing yesterday. I was there when he opened at 7:30. She does NOT have GI Stasis. She had nothing in her system at all, except for massive amounts of gas. She was dehydrated, so he gave her a lactated ringer, and put her on a couple of different meds.

By the time we got home, she was a totally different girl! She drank like there was no tomorrow, then she cleaned out 3 hay racks the rest of the evening! Her poops started out small, but the latest ones look normal. Our only challenge right now is administering her medications. She doesn't much like it and I have to wrap her up like a burrito! lol

But she is doing great this morning, and hopefully that will remain the case! The vet did tell me that her diet was too rich. Just give her plain pellets and timothy hay and I shouldn't see a repeat of this situation. I'm so grateful I found someone who has a clue about buns! The emergency vet I spoke to Sunday night was CLUELESS. They told me to stick her in a dark corner and leave her alone.

Anyhoo.. now I have myself a good bunny vet, and I have a little girl who feels 100% better. Thank you for your replies! I felt like I wasn't going through this alone and I appreciate that so much!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm so glad she's OK! It sounds like the new vet is much more knowledgeable.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

He was great. Totally worth such a long drive! I was so glad they worked us in first thing on a Monday too!

Tags
gi stasis, holland lop