Going to the vet~ do you know what this might be?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Going to the vet~ do you know what this might be??

This started about two weeks ago and I thought it was from Millie biting him (pre-spay) I could see two little teeth marks, and it's like he just keeps rubbing the scab off (or maybe she has helped him clean it up). I'm taking him to the vet ASAP bc it hasn't gotten any better and I'm just a little worried that it's something really horrible--does anyone have any clue???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bunnie pic 007.jpg (68.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg bunnie pic 008.jpg (65.8 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:49 PM
is a little "special"

Oh, wow! That doesn't look good!

Is the drainage looking stuff coming from his nose or the wound? It looks infected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Poor baby. I would get him into the vet as soon as you can.

It kind of looks like it might be rabbit syphilis to me. Maybe do some research on that?

Taking him to the vet will really be your best bet though. Keep us updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Dragon Rain...OMG...I just looked up Rabbit syphillis and you're right--that is what it looks like...Im taking him to the vet immediately b/c it says that a shot of pennicillin-something or another is the only thing that will treat it (not oral) and that it can continue to spread to the entire face...OMG---HOW did he get this??? Maybe that isn't what it is, but I'm going to print out the information that I found just in case...one case said the vet did everything for MONTHS and found nothing to be working or nothing showing up on slides, and eventually a vet suggested that it might be syphillis and then the treatment started working....thanks
I"m so worried~ but feel better knowing that whatever it is might be worked out quickly with the right antibiotics...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:34 AM
Adolescent Pup

Oh no poor little bun! Hope he gets better quickly and everything is all right! Keep us posted with how the vet goes!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Going to the Vet tomorrow at 5:20...went ahead and called them and told them what I thoght was going on and asked if they even use the type of medication that might be needed---sayin' might bc I'm no vet, but the House Rabbit Society information/pics on bunny syphillis really fits to a
T...which would be a good thing b/c it's totally curable with injected meds...I'm bringing my information with me....plus I already tried that tresaderm that they gave me for bunny scrapes and it did get a little better, but as soon as I stopped the drops it came back worse...which is what it says will happen on the House Rabbit info...just pray for little Jack (he's still eatin' and chillin (sleeping under the table riht now)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Vet thinks it's prob. rabbit syphillis too and decided to go ahead and treat both Jack and Millie with PenG (injection) everyday for a week along with the tresaderm. I really hope it is syphillis and that this will clear it up quickly.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Betta Bomb

Aw, poor buns. TG you seemed to have caught it before it gets worse. I hope they do okay on the meds
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

OK~ first day of giving these injections is complete...was nervous and fouled it up the first attempt (splashed myself with the meds while attempting the first shots) but the second attempt was a success smh...the bunnies did great-no fussing or fighting me! Jack has always been a very sweet and curious bunny--even with his injury to his nose he's seemed to be happy. NOW-he is much more active--so he must be feeling better already~~ they have both been chowing down, so they didn't have any loss of appetite~ now just watching to make sure they don't have any digestive upset. I have loaded them down with the timothy hay--even more than usual. My bunnies Jack (weighs 3.2lbs) and Millie (weighs 3.5 lbs) aren't very big but they are little PIGS!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Betta Bomb

That's great news!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Part of the Pack

Your bunnies case is further advanced than what we had to deal with. Poor little guy. Luckily our vet gave the injections...we didn't need them daily though. Hope all goes well.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

The medication has worked wonderfully~this is the 4th day of injections and the hair on his nose has already began growing where the scabby part was. The vet decided to do the everyday injections b/c he wanted to see if a healing reaction would begin~otherwise he wanted to do more tests~ this way there wouldn't be more time between a different treatment if the injections didn't work. ONce again, thankful for this groups rabbitlovers and all of the bunny knowledge<3
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Betta Bomb

That's great to hear. His little nose will be back to normal in no time! How long are the daily injections? I never had to do my own injections before, where do you stick them?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

They are prescribed daily injections for 7 days...and to give the injections you pick up their skin in the scruff area (I NEVER pick animals up this way) and then the needle goes in the triangle area of skin (tent) that is created when the scruff area is lifted...the vet actually gave me a lesson and let me practice with saline solution...it was either I learn to do it comfortabally or pay the office visit for two bunns EVERYDAY for 7 days!!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Betta Bomb

That's good that you're vet showed you then! I know the vet I went to with Coco would have charged me up the behind and make me bring my pet back every few days O.o