Is this a good cage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Is this a good cage?

Here I am again, looking to improve the shed. I stumbled across these cages a while ago and am considering getting them now for Harry and Charlie.

http://www.leithpetwerks.com/prodpag...rod_code=BA500
What I really like about them is the fact that they have two levels. I'm not too crazy about the whole design of it. Are there any other cages like that with two levels? I don't like how you can't really put bedding on the bottom and how the door opens sideways and not like a ramp. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's a pretty nice cage, but I probably wouldn't get it myself because the base isn't very deep and I know my rabbits would probably kick the shavings out. But if it's going outside it'd probably be fine. I've seen some nice multi-leveled cages online before so I'll try and get links to them and then post again .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

But Charlie and Harry have a ball kicking bedding out too. It's the same as being inside since I still have to vacuum the stuff that falls on the floor. What to do...What to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm. So, are you just looking for a multi-level cage?

These are a couple that I always wanted to get but couldn't because of money or space issues:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1128638878563

http://www.rabbitstop.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=0

The second one looks really cool .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:59 PM

The cage is cute, but a lot of money.. Have you tried getting them to live together again?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for those links! Those cages look good too!
I haven't tried actively lately, but Harry keeps biting at Charlie through the bars so I won't bother.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:39 PM

Sheez. That will be 300 bucks with tax, more if shipping and handling!

I am lucky I found a multi-level (3) cage abandoned as trash. It was fine. I cleaned it and it is in use.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:48 AM

Have you tried making your own? I bought a large playpen at Petsmart for $50Cdn and got some stuff to protect my floors for not even $10 and got some chicken wire to cover the top. My bunny cage is about 5feetX4feet and 2feet high. Which is a lot better than almost any other pricy bunny cage on the market. My bunny is really happy in there. The good thing about the playpen is that you can shape it in any way you want. So I could shape mine to fit the corner of my living room. Here is a pic of my bunny's home.

Last edited by Sandra; 03-12-2006 at 09:22 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I do have a playpen area for my guys but I feel they need the security of their cage where the litter box and hidey house is.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 06:28 PM

Lol, ok. I dont know what you mean by "secure" but I can tell you the cage I made out of the playpen is secure enough. Everything is well attached and there isnt big cages like that on the market. I saw the link on your first post and those cage are really nice but still dont give your bun enough room even if its 2 levels. Those cages are best for Chins since they like to climb a lot, bunnies prefer to run. That is just my opinion.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, by secure I meant more along the lines of comfort, not sturdiness. I hope that makes sense. With the new cages they would still have their play pens, of course, but I wanted to give them some variety.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 09:28 PM

Have ya heard of NIC cubes? Here are some links they are super cheap you can get em at wal mart and any store like that. I made my bun's cage with them 20 bux gives ya a small but comfie cage and you can jusy keep adding on. Oh and Bunnies dont need bedding a soft towl is fine with a litter box.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/nic.html
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:03 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Natalie that cage is nice but I can't believe it doesn't come with a more slid bottom so they can't kick as much out. Honestly, for me, if I was going to spend that much money on a cage I would want it to minimise the work for me!! My girls love kicking their stuff around but their cages both have high solid bottoms so not much gets out (a couple of pieces of litter here and there...Molly learnt a new trick when we were away). They don't have a two level cage though but I'd definently be looking for something with a high solid bottom!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

That's the thing keeping me away from those cages as well. I just don't know...Charlie loves throwing her bedding out of her cage as well, no matter how much or little I put in.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:39 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

OMG That is a lot of money.

Some of the rabbit cage places like www.damars.com can custom make cages to your specifications, and I would think it would be cheaper than that.

Does your school have a shop class? Maybe you could convince another student to make you a cage cheaper. Just a thought!

The rabbit version of the Guinea Pig cc cages might also be worth a look at.

Tags
chicken wire, guinea pig, level cage, litter box, rabbit cage