Goodbye Henry - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Goodbye Henry

On thursday, Henry had to be Euthanised.

As I'm sure some people on here can remember he had some stomach troubles that ended up being cleared up. He escaped from his cage while I was asleep a couple nights ago and when I found him in the morning he had no interest in his breakfast so I phoned the vet. I took him to the vet and he was prescribed some Cysapride and an antibiotic and we went home. He wasnt doing well and was still not eating 24 hours later so I brought him back two days after the first visit. The vet took an x ray and decided to operate on him and I was to bring him back the next day.

I brought him back and was very nervous. The vet tech took him away and I patted him on the head once and then for some reason I made her stop and I gave him one more pat, and then we left and I went to the mall to hand out resumes.

At about two oclock the vet called me and I knew something was wrong. Henry had another blockage in his cecum as we knew, and she had removed what looked to be just a lot of poop. As she went to sew the cecum back up, she couldnt find any live tissue- his cecum was ALL dead tissue aside from a small strip. She told me that if she sewed the remaining tissue up and Henry survived the recovery (which was not likely) he would always be sick and would not thrive, need a specialized diet and very special care. I told her I would do anything to care for him, but she told me he would not be healthy and happy.

I had to give her permission on the phone to put him to sleep. I feel it was good because at least he was fast asleep when she gave him the needle- he didnt feel a thing.

I feel awful- what if it was my fault? My room is messy and I'm assuming he got something plastic so it is my fault. If i had been more cautious he wouldnt have gotten it.

My mom cleaned his cage out for me. I couldnt stand looking at his little log cabin and his stuffy banana. I still cant believe he is gone- no one to feed breakfast to in the morning, no one escaping in the middle of the night and jumping on my bed. He chose me, and I don't think I'll ever be able to find that again. I have a little henry tattoo on my ankle and I cant even stand to look at it, or any pictures of him. I love him and miss him so much. My grandma died on the same day after fighting cancer for three years, but I just cant believe Henry did- he was so so young, and I took such good care of him..

I cant even explain how much I love and miss him. He was my handsome boy and I don't think I'll ever meet a bunny like him again. I miss his one curly whisker and his little dot on his nose and how he would toss his bowl around when he wanted a snack. He loved snuggling on my chest and getting ear and cheek rubs, and would climb over/ under my book when I was reading to get a cuddle.

Sorry I havn't been on here lately, its just been busy and now this. I miss him so much and I hope I see him again one day. I hope thats how it works. I hope I made the right decision? What if he had gotten better and wasnt sick? I don't know what to do, everything reminds me of him, and I keep finding little Henry turdz everywhere. Thanks for listening everyone.

Marlies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you. I know this is a devastating time for you, please take comfort in the fact that Henry knew how much you love him.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh, this is so sad. I was so shocked to see this post! I'm so sorry for your loss. *hugs* RIP Henry.

Maureen

Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

oh no! I'm soooo sorry!

I know it's hard, but someday you'll be able to look at pictures and think of him and smile again.

If you ever need someone to talk too, my PM box is open.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:20 AM

i'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Hensy and lots of hugs for you.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am so sorry! It's not your fault. And I do think you did the right thing.
It's hard now but it does get easier. It takes time.
And don't close your heart to other buns. You just never know who might hop along. We swear that Tabby sent us our Teddy.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh sweety I'm sorry. Its not your fault, things happen. Anyone and Everyone on here knows how much you love[d] your baby bunny.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 PM
can't think of one, help

I'm so sorry to hear about Henry. You did the right thing though, and he is now at the bridge unencumbered by his illness. I agree with Kathydip, my little sweetiegirl bunny, brought my littleboy bunny. He was rescued from the snow just two days after I had to put her to sleep and I swore I was not going to go through it again. I've had him for 10 years now. So you never know where your heart will be needed next. Hugs to you.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thank you so much guys.. the day i buried him in our backyard it was really hot out and I stopped for a minute and was kind of looking at the sky and a tiny tiny white butterfly with little black spots fluttered through my yard so I think maybe its Henry telling me he is okay. The vet who had to put him to sleep was crying when I came to get him. She is such an amazing vet, and she has helped me a lot. Some of the techs were crying too, so it feels good to know he was in the best hands when it happened. You guys on here are all so supportive and helpful-- what would I do without this place?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Betta Bomb

There is no comfort in having your heart stepped on and left out of body on the side of the road where all that passes are the memories of the lost loved soul. There is no comfort in having constant reminders of your precious baby, not at first. But I trust you will never let him out of your heart once you pick it back up and dust it off. Henry lives inside now, no longer in the skin and furr but inside you. He will call to you each day and when you can remember how to smile he will still be there and it will be easier to think of him and you will be able to massage the tatt and gaze at his pictures.
Marm, you did the right thing. He would have been sick and unhappy had they sewed him up. The quality of life always surmounts the quantity and you sure gave him a good life. You are a fantastic bunny mom and I hope once you mend you can adopt another bunny and give him a chance like little Henry had when you seen him first in the store. I send my vibes your way in hopes you feel better soon.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks hops. I suppose I will one day meet that bunny I know needs me like I need him.