got a new little bunny today, a few questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

got a new little bunny today, a few questions

i bought a large dog crate with a pullout tray underneath. because it was much larger than the cages i saw an a lot cheaper. now i dont want the wire bottom to hurt his/ her little feet, so should i put bedding? someome suggested to me shredded newspaper inside the cage but im not sure if thays even safe for bunnies ro eat etc...
also, is it bad to put the wayer in a little ceramic dish like tje food? im not worried if it spills, it probably wont, but i mean health wise? i heard someone say it was really bad for a bunny to have the water in a dish. but id i change the water ever day?
t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i had bunnys with a water dish before as some rabbits just simply wont drink from a water bottle, i always used bedding so im not sure about newspaper though. you could always building him a cage for really cheap check out c & c cages

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

A water dish is fine. A lot of rabbits seem to actually prefer dishes to bottles. Changing the water once a day should be fine unless the rabbit gets the water really dirty or spills it.

The wire can hurt their feet, I usually advice trying to make or find a cage without a wire bottom. I have a dog crate (for my dog) with a pull out tray and it doesn't have wire that goes on top of the tray.

Shredded newspaper should be safe but it's not very absorbent and you may have to change it often. Are you planning on litter box training the rabbit? If you are then I'd only put litter in the litter box.

Maybe you can find something else to cover the wire. Foam pads? Maybe something like this, cut to size. I know quite a few people who use these for rabbits...

http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-Eq...+puzzle+pieces

Or maybe fleece blankets folded up so they make a thick barrier above the wire?

Is there any way you can remove the wire? If you litter train your rabbit then you won't really need the wire there to keep the cage cleaner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

good news, theres no wire above the pullout tray, so she wont hurt her feetsies. i would loke to end up potty training her so i can let her bounce about my room without worrying about picking up her little ' chocolate trail' haha
alrhough she seema to stay in the corner of the crate when shea not eating or something.. im assuming this is becaise she ia scared and things.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

They litter box train quite easily. But as long as she remains unaltered, you're still going to have to pick up her chocolate trails, because that's a territory-marking thing that all unaltered rabbits like to do.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Im not quite sure what you mean by 'unaltered'.
You mean een if she is litter trained she will still poop everywhere? Thats not really littertraining then..
Does nutering heror whatever make a difference in piotty training her? ( not sureyet if she is a boy or girl)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moni5550 View Post
Im not quite sure what you mean by 'unaltered'.
You mean een if she is litter trained she will still poop everywhere? Thats not really littertraining then..
Does nutering heror whatever make a difference in piotty training her? ( not sureyet if she is a boy or girl)
"Unaltered" means the animal hasn't been fixed. It's really, really difficult to littertrain unaltered rabbits so definitely get yours neutered or spayed once they're old enough .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Betta Bomb

You should have your bunny spayed-neutered to help with the bunny buttons and spray-pee.
She should also be let out of her cage for a few hours each day. COmmercial cages are much too small for a rabbit to live in. I reccomend getting some cubes and building a cage/pen/condo. They're cheap to buy at any hardware store in the laundry section.
http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1D...NMXk0QHuyZG9DQ
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Playful Pup

My rabbits drink out of dishes and they are fine. better than a bottle anyway as this is the natural way for em to drink.

Tags
baby bunny