Growling and whimpering - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Growling and whimpering

This morning I woke to find Nino's yellow foodbowl turned over in her cage (which tells me she had eaten all the pellets in the bowl). I had forgotten to fill it up last night which must have angered her because when I opened the cage door to grab the foodbowl she ferociously bit me on my wrist. I was so surprised and shocked (she never bites me) that my initial reaction was smacking her on the head. This then proceeded with her growling at me (which surprised me again because I've never heard a rabbit growl). I then cautiously gave her timothy hay and some pellets afterward and petted her head apologetically since I shouldn't have hit her. Then I was surprised again to hear her whimper in response.

Luckily she forgave me when I came back from school
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've never heard of rabbits making any noise besides grunting. Flash grunts at me whenever I annoy him, which is usually just when I reach into his cage for anything other than giving him food. The only other time he grunts is when I go to pick him up, though once he's off the ground, he's too panic stricken to grunt any more.

--Fromper
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Bunnies can be very territorial and may not appreciate hands in their area. I am glad that you realized that smacking her is not the best course of action. I do understand how it can be a reaction though.
Is her food dish close to the opening so you don't have to reach in too far? Maybe you can toss in a treat to distract her from what you are doing. Eventually she may see you as reaching in her cage being equal to a yummy treat.
Teddy is my most vocal bun but they all have grunted at me.
I can't remember - is she spayed? If not you probably should get her done as soon as possible. The hormones could be why she is so cranky.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Playful Pup

I have a little netherland dwarf who is very vocal. She growls and also does a whimper noise. I think this was just your bunny's reaction to you hitting her on the head - she was probably just as shocked as you were that that was your reaction to her biting you!

Methinks you need to give her a little extra treat to try to win her back and be careful reaching into her cage - she sounds like she doesn't like that! And for heaven's sake, DON'T forget to fill her bowl before going to bed! HA!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Zeus my dwarf was the most vocal bunny I ever met. He use to grunt, growl, squeek, whimper... Aww I miss all that now that he's gone, I use to think it was the funniest thing when my tiny 2lb rabbit would be growling at me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:22 PM
is a little "special"

Ive heard my buns growl, grunt, squeek, and whimper!
Oreo and Smudge only make squeeky/whimper noises when theyre happy tho...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Part of the Pack

haha, I bun I took in from a neglectful owner and rehomed did the exact same thing to me! I was so shocked. Nipped my right on the wrist? Those buns have sharp teeth!

give your love no matter what.

Tags
biting, growling, nino, whimpering