Grumpy/Aggressive Bunny... And a rant - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Unhappy Grumpy/Aggressive Bunny... And a rant

Something has really gotten into Smudge lately... Hes been getting more agressive, and super crabby for some reason. Hes grunting/growling at me pretty much when ever I pet him or try to brush him, and hes started lunging at my hands. Sometimes he does it when I pet him, but it seems like hes getting food aggressive, because he does it more when I try to give him a treat or touch him while hes eating. He also wont tolerate being held or picked up very well either. I know most buns hate being picked up anyway so I dont hold him very often, but he always used to tolerate it really well.

I feel really aweful... Ive been trying so hard to make him happy. I buy him tons of toys, givin him free range of my room, give him treats, and cleaned out everything in my room so he can go under my dresser and bed (he LOVES sleeping there) but nothing seems make him happier.
I guess I can understand why hes so ticked off though. In the last month, hes been fixed, has X-rays and blood drawn, just got over a URI, had 3 differents medications, and to top it off hes molting.
Im wondering if hes getting lonley too.

Im feeling really frustrated too, mostly with other people. Since me and my sisters guinea pigs live together, we take turns spot cleaning and fedding the pigs everyday, and she is being really lazy about it. She hardly cleans the cage, and pretty much just throws them a massive chunk of carrot with a small piece of lettuce for their veggies. I always clean the cage really well and give them tons of greens... Whenever we "share" a pet or house our pets together, I ALWAYS end up doing all the work, and when I tell her that she screams at me and throws a fit. Its the same way with her poor rabbit- tons of sugary fatty foods, and she feeds him alfalfa pellets every though hes REALLY over weight, and he comes in for a few minutes of exercise about once a month. She wont even consider fixing him either, so Smudge having a friend is pretty much impossible right now. Poor Oreos already 7, so Im not sure he'll last much longer.

Sorry for the rant, but Im just super fed up with everyone right now. Its really frustrating when pets are being neglected in your house, and you can do anything about it... And when you already have 2 rabbits, but they cant live together.

I guess I just really need some advice on what to do for Smudge. When hes sad, it makes me sad too

When I was observing at the vets this morning, I had Smudges vet write him a perscription for "1 friend, ASAP". I put it on my fridge LOL, so hopefully my mom will follow the doctors orders. I guess thats one thing I can laugh at today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm sorry i hope he gets over being mr. grumpy gills soon.

I know what you mean about your sister. My roommate neglects his snake and forgets to water it or feed it or clean it or anything, so i am watering and cleaning and putting the hides back in when he keeps taking them out. I don't want to feed it though, it only eats live gerbils.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 07:12 PM
can't think of one, help

Poor Smudge, his hormones just need to calm down a bit and he's probably really tired of vet procedures. Hope he gets over it soon.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

So sorry to hear about your crabby rabbit and messy sister. Is she your little sister? Younger sisters don't like it when older sibling tell them what to do. Does she get an allowance? Maybe your mom could tie her allowance to her cleaning habbits. But if your sister thinks you are trying to control her, she will do the opposite of what you ask her, just out of rebellion.

My Peaches is crabby because she is molting. She bit me today while I was grooming her. When Niomi molts, she sometimes doesn't eat for over three days! Once I even took her to the emergency vet for not eating, I was so nervous, and the vet thought I was nuts, bringing in a perfectly healthy rabbit. She started eating about 12 hours later. Maybe Smudge has a little bit of the molting blues, on top of everything else. I hope things get better for you soon.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Yes shes my little sister... Shes 13, so shes old enough to be responsible though. We dont get allowance. It might work if my mom took away her texting, but my mom is acually on my sisters side so I dont think that will work.

Well, at least Smudge isnt the only crabby molting bunny. 3 days is a long time! I would be worried too!
And Smudge might have an over grown tooth. His eye started watering again as soon as he was off those antibiotics, so on Monday he has to be sedated so they can look at his molars. Poor guy Hes acually in a little better mood, and I hate to ruin it. He did lunge at his new toy though this morning LOL.
I can understand why hes so grumpy though if his teeth are giving him problems too. I wouldnt exactly be full of joy either.

But now I have something new to stress over. Including the cost of getting his molars checked, Ive spent over $500 on him in the last month or so. *sigh*

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

Ohhh poor Smudge - let us know how his Vet visit goes.
((Hugs for Smudge))

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Jess it is hard when dealing with siblings. I am the little sister and I remember not wanting to listen to my big sister. Funny thing is now that we are both OLD! 36 and 38 we are the best of friends and I would be lost without her.
Maybe Smudge is grumpy because of the molt. I was wondering what was going on with Penelope and Teddy cause they are not really themselves so I have been watching them closely. Teddy does have a sinus infection but I am starting to think that it's the molting bothering them both. I don't think either of them enjoy me pulling at their fur all the time. I tell them that it needs to be done so they don't get a hair ball but I don't think they believe me.
He's also loosing his hormones so he may feel strange right now. But if he is like Teddy he will be a nice loving bunny once more.
Oh and all my buns have more toys than a bun should and they all swear they are bored to tears!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks Kathy
I generally get along pretty well with my sister, but sometimes I just cant stand her.
Smudge is the same way with plucking. Hes usually some what nice if you pet his head at the same time, but I have a feeling Ill lose a finger if I attempt to butt-pluck him. He really needs a good butt-plucking, LOL

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww, Jess. I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I am an only child, so I don't know how that goes, but I always hated being told what to do! I'm very stubborn!! Your pets are all so lucky to have you! I don't know very many 15 yr olds willing to devote their lives to pets like you do. You are amazing, Jess. My mom, Tommycat, talks about how mature and responsible you are all the time! She's very impressed with you as well!!

I hope Smudge cheers up soon! Sounds like other buns are grumpy when molting, and like you said, if his teeth are over-grown, that's good cause for grouchiness too! I know he loves you though-how could he not!!!

BTW, I laughed my butt off at the Rx you had the vet write for you for a new friend!!! If it works, I'll try that on my hubby!!! LOL

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Thanks
Haha, Im a horribly stubborn and persistant person too! Drives my mom crazy, LOL.
And thanks so much Im happy that you guys think Im a good pet mommy
LOL, every one at the vets there is hillarious! I love going to observe there, and Im lucky to have such a good exotic vet near by.

This morning Smudge has an absolute growling-spaz when I tried to get him out from under my moms bed. He knows hes not supposed to ber in there, but he sleeps under her bed and plays with the wrapping paper any chance he gets LOL. Hes going to the vet in 2 hours, so wish his luck! I sure hope this makes the lil guy feel better <3

And thanks for all the nice comments everyone Im feeling alot better now.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

How did Smudge do?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

What did the vet say? I love your pictures

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

OK, so it turned out Smudge had some molar spurs after all He did really really good, but I feel kinda bad for him... There is some blood in the corners of his mouth from getting his molars trimmed, and he looks like a lil vampire bunny LOL .
I also have to cut his pellets down from 1/4 cup to 1/8 cup so he eats more hay, and hes on Baytril for the week.
I hope that molar spurs where all that was wrong with him, and that they dont come back!

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Bless his heart! Hopefully he's on the mend now!! Give him kisses for me!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 PM
can't think of one, help

Maybe now he'll turn back into that sweet little Smudge he's always been. Glad it was not too serious

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)

Tags
aggressive, bunny, grumpy, rabbit