Guilty/Worried :( - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

Not really. It's a specially designed tool that's made for clipping rabbit's teeth. My vet has been working with rabbits for many years. I doubt she would use something that could hurt them. She's done a great job with Snow for at least 3 years now, so I do trust her completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
Not really. It's a specially designed tool that's made for clipping rabbit's teeth. My vet has been working with rabbits for many years. I doubt she would use something that could hurt them. She's done a great job with Snow for at least 3 years now, so I do trust her completely.
Err, any medical tool is generally capable of hurting an animal. After all, my vet uses a scalpel during surgery, which is a specially designed tool to cut open an animal, but it would definitely be possible to hurt a rabbit with a scalpel!

If it's sharp enough to cut a tooth, or spins fast enough to grind a tooth, it can injure their cheeks and gums. Your vet may be great and lucky and never have it happen, but they don't call them accidents because we count on them to happen either.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have expressed my concern to her and she assured me that how she does it is safe. The other vet that works in the clinic also said it was safe. I do trust their word. Next time I'm going to ask them how the tool works. I know it doesn't spin, and it doesn't look like a sharp thing either. I'm not sure how it works, but I do think it's as safe as any tool can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 PM
is a little "special"

Just have to add- Ive head that acually clipping teeth can make buns accidentally swallow chips of tooth, and the bacteria from the tooth chip can mess with their gut. Im not 100% sure on it, but Ive read it before. Im pretty sure its better to file the teeth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Adolescent Pup

I've read about that too and talked to my vet about it, but she said she always made sure the tooth chip didn't wind up in his throat.