Guilty/Worried :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Guilty/Worried :(

I was in with Akina tonight and Sathya was in with Acacia. OK, I was petting her and felt crusty on her eye, upon further examination, I noticed it was runny but all dried in. Now, I have to go get a warm wash cloth and wash it down-but then I noticed she was grinding her teeth while I wasnt touching her. Usually she rubs her teeth together when Im petting her so I assumed she was just enjoying things. But when I noticed this while I wasnt touching her I decided to do a physical exam on her. Hint 1 was her eye crusty. Hint 2 was her teeth grinding.
This is where I feel guilty.
She has foot sores, and sore hocks. Not extremely bad, just a little inflamed. And also on her jaw is a hard bump, I think that's attached to her gums. (Molars?) I wanted to cry -till I realized that wont make her better....
I thought she was ok because she eats fine and pees and everything else fine. She still greets me and stands for kissies and is half active-no worse than usual, she's always lazy. Im SOOOO worried now though because this means the ominous v.e.t
Not only am I totally strapped for cash but Im terribly afriad the x-rays will determine a much more severe problem then I expect now. (I always over react about vets)
I need to calm down, is there any homeopathic remedies to make her comfortable in the time being? I can probably get her to a vet early next week..Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've read that camomile and lavender are calming. Lavender, you need to be careful with, as it shouldn't be consumed in large amounts, but camomile she should be fine with. Many berries are also bunny tonics, like blackberries, for instance, and mulberry leaves have been used in chinese medicine for centuries(mulberry leaves are a-ok to feed bunnies, don't worry).

EDIT: There's also Burt Bees "Rescue Remedy". The one we have is in a small, round container, and the substance is a sort of glossy paste(kinda like lip gloss in the containers you need to stick your fingers into to smear onto your lips). It's generally safe for all animals, and humans, but you might want to google search how safe it is for rabbits and exactly how it should be used to be completely sure. And I only suggest the Rescue Remedy because it IS a homeopathic remedy, and that's only if you don't have any camomile, lavender, blackberry, or mulberry plants around.

I wish her(and you) the best of luck!

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 09-24-2009 at 10:09 PM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Adolescent Pup

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry your bun is going through this. I completely understand your worry. I've been there many times! My little guy often clicks his teeth, and sometimes he grinds them even when I'm not touching him. It's because of his teeth since he has dental issues, so it could be the same for your bun too with the bump on the jaw you mentioned. The good thing is that she is still eating and acting normal. I know bunnies can hide their pain very well, but there's always signs that us bunny parents can easily pick up on. Hoping she feels better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Aw I'm sorry. I hope Akina is okay and please keep us updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks guys, I will *hugs*
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

Ahh poor baby - let us know what the vets says.
I forgot to ask - how is she today?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

^__^ Sure thing.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

She's best kind today again. The swollen cheek looks a little bad but she gobbled down her food and drinking fine. IM confused as to why she should be eating still, I though if they were that seriously injured they would refuse food?** Well this IS Akina we're talking about here :p
Vet tomorrow at 430 pm. Well wishes welcome
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:37 AM
RAT ADDICT

Poor Akina.
Good luck! Hopefully it is nothing serious.
I will come to the vet with you if you wish.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

When Zeus was sick he still ate like a pig. The vet said she was very surprised that he was still eating, but he loved to eat. Barnaby is the complete opposite, if you so much as look at him the wrong way he'll go on a hunger strike.

But hopefully it's nothing too serous for Akina. Good luck at the vets!

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Sillly Barnes!
I had the appt yesterday and so far it only looks like overgrown spurs. So she was sent home with Baytril-though its unflavored b/c i had to try some too *rolls eyes* and bitter as heck- in 10 days I have to bring her back and he'll trim them. As of yet, the swollen cheek is a result of inflammation which he compared to Acacia (dumbo's at the vet put Akina on Acacia's file) and I was SO releived to hear its not in the bone or whatever would require surgery. I seriously dont think I would have been able to afford a surgery.
I completly forgot to mention the excessive drinking but he checked out her sore toesies and sore hocks and told me to switch litter. Acacia is totally fine on Yesterdays News but for Akina who is heavier set and lazy he told me the hay and pellets are going to keep the sorenesss there no matter how often I wash her with soap and betadine. So I changed her litter to plain old newspapers and shredded newspapers which I can see smelling within the day. As long as her toes get better.
Anyway, Im glad for now all is good- how expensive did you find spur trimming to be? And its a long term thing eh? It has to be done for the rest of her life every few months? Does she need to be anesthesized? (these q's I didnt ask yesterday b/c I always have brain freezes at vets) Thanks for all the support and suggestions
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Newborn Pup

hi,
hope your bun is ok can i ask why the vet gave you baytril for a malocclusion? just wondering.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Newborn Pup

did the vet give your bun an x ray?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Newborn Pup

if your vet didnt give akina a dental xray then there is no way of knowing if its overgrown molars, if it is you will have to have them filed, if its malocclusion of the incisors ( front teeth ) then you should be able to see the overgrown teeth yourself and the best option is to have the teeth removed. when one of my buns years ago had incisor malocclusion it cost me £100 to have them filled and she was put under anesthetic, she then had them cut and filed while she was awake every 2 weeks!!
because of the stress and the fact that her malocclusion was really bad she died probably due to not being able to eat properly, the pain and the stress.
so if it is her incisors ask the vet about having her teeth out.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
how expensive did you find spur trimming to be? And its a long term thing eh? It has to be done for the rest of her life every few months? Does she need to be anesthesized? (these q's I didnt ask yesterday b/c I always have brain freezes at vets) Thanks for all the support and suggestions
Spur trimming at the vet I go to is about $40.00 without anaesthesia. Snow had been under anaesthesia the first few times, but then I got another vet who preferred to do it without, and he's been without anaesthesia ever since with no problems. But my vet has a lot of experience with trimming molars while bunnies are awake, so you may be more comfortable if anaesthesia is used if your vet hasn't done it before on a conscious bunny. And yes, it is a rest of their life thing. The time frame between trimmings depends, actually. I remember when Snow first started developing molar spurs he only had to have them trimmed every 6 months. Then they got worse as he got a little older, and it turned to 4 months, and now it's 2 months. Whenever I bring him in every 2 months they're just to the point where they're about to get uncomfortable, but they're not bothering him yet, so it's perfect timing.