Guinea Pig as a Rabbit's Companion? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Guinea Pig as a Rabbit's Companion?

Ok, I've heard that Guinea Pigs and rabbits get along well, and they are good companions, I've also heard they don't do well... Can anybody tell me if its normaly a good or bad idea? I figure that since they both eat timothy hay, when I feed pellets I can put a divider in their cage until they are done eating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Owned By
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lola The Bunny, 2 standard poodles 1 toy poodle 1 chihuahua and Vandy the QH

*In loving memory of Bull's Eye, who crossed the rainbow bridge august 2002*

If Tears Could Build A Staircase,
And Memories a lane,
I'd Walk Right up to Heaven,
And Bring you home again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

I had a rabbit friend named Mr. Bun, that had a guinea pig friend, Wallace. First, Mr. Bun thought the pig was her child, and protected it like no tomorrow. When she finally clued in that Wallace wasn't a rabbit, she went nuts and tore all his fur off.

What an idiot.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah, but is that normal?

Owned By

And Memories a lane,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

I've never had a rabbit, but I do have pigs. I know their diet is different (pellets). My pigs graze all day long so I don't think you could seperate them during feeding time. They're always hungry!

I also heard rabbits have very strong back legs and could injure a guinea pig.

One more thing, guinea pigs should not be on a wire floor. It can hurt their feet.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ok my rabbit eats hay (and alfalfa in moderation) all day too lol. And wire floors can hurt rabbit's feet too, so she's on on a wire bottom'd cage. I was wondering do they get along though?

Owned By

And Memories a lane,
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I've heard that they do get along, but I've also read that the gpigs can pass diseases to rabbits and rabbits can pass diseases to gpigs. I personally wouldn't mix the two. I would get a bunny friend for my rabbit instead. I know they can live together though. I've seen them in pet stores together.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaBunny
Ok my rabbit eats hay (and alfalfa in moderation)
Sorry to double post. I think Masterjack was saying that her gpigs graze all day long on pellets, and rabbits are supposed to have a limited amount.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 09:16 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
I think Masterjack was saying that her gpigs graze all day long on pellets, and rabbits are supposed to have a limited amount.
Yes, my pigs graze all day long on pellets and unlimited bluegrass hay.
I have no idea what rabbits eat and what to feed them. I know nothing about rabbits.

I wouldn't house them together.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 03:21 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

No they shouldn't be housed together....you run a big risk of the rabbit accidently killing the gp...one kick and it's dead. If you want a friend for your rabbit....get another rabbit

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 03:39 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Not to mention that if your rabbit is male, it'll probably do some...not so nice things to your GP! Just ask Lucky Jack about Dutchie!
My buns get limited pellets and fresh veggies once a day along with unlimited timothy hay...they eat the veggies all at once but graze all day on their hay and pellets

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 07:51 AM
I live in a Pigdom

I have a guine pig in my herd that was on a wire bottom cage, the outcome was a broken foot and bumblefoot. Guinea pigs should never be put on a wire bottomed cage.

A guinea pig should have pellets and hay all day long as they graze on them all day long. Their digestive systems are similar to that of a cow, and they need food running through at all times. Pellets and hay should be free fed all day.

I only have guinea pigs, but have read about people having both and housing them together. The sad thing is that the guinea pig loses its life and the rabbit lives. It only takes one kick from the rabbit to kill a guinea pig. They should never be housed together. If your rabbit truly needs a companion get another rabbit.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaBunny
Ok my rabbit eats hay (and alfalfa in moderation) all day too lol. And wire floors can hurt rabbit's feet too, so she's on on a wire bottom'd cage. I was wondering do they get along though?
Am I reading this wrong or what? You say you know that wire can hurt their feet but yet you have her on a wire bottom cage...Can you take the wire out so that she is on the shavings and not on the wire?

IMO I wouldn't put the two in the same cage,
#1 their pellets are different (you dont want your rabbit eating guinea pig pellets and vice versa)
#2 The rabbit could hurt or even kill the GP on accident
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Hmmm... I don't know much about guinea pigs, but I do know a fair amount about rabbits, and I agree with what everyone here has said so far.

It is clear that a rabbit and a guinea pig living together is not a good idea. However, you could possibly risk letting them have supervised playtime together. Many species get along well if they don't have to spend all their time together.

Even if you get another rabbit, there is no guarantee that they will be able to stay together in the same cage. And Rabbits are territorial, so if they feel that their space is being invaded, they will lash out and try to establish dominance in any way possible.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks everyone! My brother wants a gp and we thought if they were known to get along together well then instead of having 2 gp's and 2 bunnies they could be each others companion, but there's too much of a risk for the gp so we might just get another bunny. Thanks everyone! Oh, one quick question are cucumbers ok for bunnies?

Owned By

And Memories a lane,
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

[QUOTE=LolaBunny. And wire floors can hurt rabbit's feet too, so she's on on a wire bottomed cage. QUOTE]

I ment so she's not on a wire bottomed cage lol sorry if that was confusing (ohh wodnerful typing errors lol)

Owned By

And Memories a lane,

Tags
grass hay, guinea pig, guinea pig pellets, lucky jack, pet store, pet stores, timothy hay