Hairball prevention - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Hairball prevention

Okay, so I'm trying to convince Holly to stop eating my carpet (it's been in here as long as I can remember and isn't expensive or anything but I worry about his tummy!) by getting him interested in his digging box and leaving hay around for him. He doesn't seem to have any interest in his little blocks of flavoured wood either, but scrunched up paper entertains him momentarily and I think I'll get in some toilet tubes too.

Anyway, since I can't always stop him, what are good things to add to his diet to keep his GI system going so he doesn't get hairballs? I've heard things like pumpkin and papaya, does anyone have opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Rodentologist

Eating carpet won't cause hairballs, it will cause a full out blockage from carpet materials. Could you buy a cheap sisal carpet (which is a type of grass) from somewhere like World Market or BinkyBunny to cover up key chewing areas?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

I've looked for that sort of thing in petstores and haven't seen any, and using a search engine set to just search sites from my country really doesn't turn up much except as "elegant and luxurious" alternatives to ordinary carpet. Apparently it's not particularly big in New Zealand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

What about covering the areas with pieces of cardboard instead? Chewing on the cardboard would be safer for him then chewing on the carpet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
hairball, rabbit