Hand me down bun cage... do I need to reclean? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Hand me down bun cage... do I need to reclean?

Girlfriend is giving me her old bun cage, bowls ,feeders and other variuos things...

What do I need to do... if anything to get it ready for my bun?

Do I need to clean my carpet for my new bun?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Hi...

How big is the cage? Just for your information, most store bought rabbit cages are acually way to small for even just one rabbit. In the very least, the cage should be at least 4 times the size of the rabbit (when it's an adult), and should be tall enough so the rabbit can stand up on it's hind legs and fully strech out. Of course, the bigger the cage the better, because rabbits love having the extra space to play.

If the cage is an okay size, then yes, I would reclean it with a diluted bleach solution. Make sure you rinse it really well after. There are diseases that rabbits can catch from other rabbits that can be deadly, so if another rabbit used the cage and supplies before make sure to wash and rinse everything well!

You don't necessarily need to go out of your way to clean the carpet unless it's really dirty or you've had another rabbit that was sick around, but it wouldn't hurt to clean it. Once the bunny is around, you'll probably have to clean a lot because they can be veeeery messy little guys. Make sure you rabbit proof the area he or she will be allowed to play in - make sure there are no exposed wires or anything else the bunny might chew on.

Here is a really good website you can check out for tons of house rabbit info : http://www.rabbit.org/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
hand me down bun cage...