hand plucking Angoras? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

hand plucking Angoras?

how do you properly pluck out the loose angora wool? I have heard that I need to be blowing the coat with a high powered dryer or shop vac on reverse, and gently plucking out the dead coat with my finger tips.
How often should I be grooming my Angoras. I would like to keep their hair no more than 2 inches long so its easier to care for. how often do you think they would need a trim?
LOL, i will be soooo glad when I am no longer an Angora newbie!

thanks for any help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think you can hand pluck them, or use a brush

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you want to keep the coat short, just cut it and don't worry so much about blowing/plucking .

But yeah, you can use a blow dryer (not on a hot setting!) to blow the coat out and pluck by hand. There's nothing too complicated about plucking, you're literally just plucking out clumps of wool. It'll come out easily .

Edit: I wanted to add something in case other people read this. Plucking and blowing are the usual methods for dealing with the coat of a FRENCH Angora. Some of the other breeds require different care! Always research.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

thanks! I was hoping that you would chime in! Charmin is my french angora, and my new angora is Marsha the english angora. I assume that grooming is the same on the two breeds. I think english angoras grow more coat. Either way, i plan on keeping them both only a few inches long. Right now they are both just 1 inch long, maybe a little sorter.

Both had to be pretty well sheared down due to mats, and I am so surprised how fast that hair grew back!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

English Angoras are usually clipped as opposed to plucked but I think you might be able to hand pluck if you want to (I'm not 100% sure since I've never had an English Angora personally).

Like I said, though, if you keep it short you shouldn't have any problems. Daily brushing should do the trick and they shouldn't get matted or need to be plucked very often .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

good!
Angoras are pretty
but I never "asked" for angoras. they were rescues that needed me. I groom dogs all day at work and I sure dont want to have to come home a deal with mats too!

English angoras are alot more cottony than frenchies!

Tags
angora grooming