Has anyone had this problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Has anyone had this problem

One of my bunny got really sick 2 wks ago. The vet thought her kidneys were failing, but then they were not etc... she was doing 107 of fever and only had 16% Red blood cell (normal is 32)

Anyways, when i went to get my bunny at the vet, she put her on the table and my bunny looked like a penguin, her two front legs just goes on the side, she looks like a penguin lying on its belly. The vet says it's probably the high fever that damaged her brain and now's she like that.

we almost put her down but i didn't want to without giving her a chance. It would have haunted me for the rest of my life

We are giving her like 6 different types of medication (baytril, reglan, Bicillin, Val syrup, Mexolicam & propulsid) (poor bunny)

She doesn't walk anymore, well she has gotten a lot better. At 1st we thought that she was not there. Now she kinda crowls a little but her foot was bleeding yesterday cause when she "crawls" it rubs against the carpet. She seems like she's using her paws more and more, some days she does good and some days she doesnt. The vet says she will probably not walk/hop/run again

Has anyone been throught this with their bunny? It's not paralysis cause she moves her legs but maybe more like a weakness in the front paws... i dont know

here;s a pic, look at her little leg on the side, both of them are like that

Attachment 16242

Thanks

Last edited by MeggieQC; 03-18-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I am not a vet, but I think your rabbit might have "Flop Bunny Syndrome." I'm sure there is another name for this condition, but I can't think of it. Check out this site: www.home.netspeed.com.au/reguli/flopbun.htm
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Try doing a search on Encephalitozoon Cuniculi and see if that is a possibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 10:18 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Wow. You guys know your stuff. Hope mine never gets that.

Good luck.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 10:36 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

I dont know anything about it but that is soo sad. Im really sorry about your bunny. I hope you can find something to help her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Moonchild, I have an appoint. with my vet tuesday, It seems like E.Cuniculi would fit it, but im sure my vet would have known, she specialize in rabbit made blood test and Pee test. I will asked her about E.cuniculi cause if it's what she has, i need to get my other bunny tested.

She's saying more that it's the fever that damaged her brain,s he says a couple of rabbits that she is taking care of,had really high fever and they got brain damaged from it, she told us that even before my bunny got that bad.

I will certainly ask her and i'll keep you posted on this.

TO BUNNY OWNERS, ALWAYS HAVE A THERMOMETER HANDY FOR YOUR RABBIT. IF THEY ARE ACTING STRANGE TAKE THEIR TEMP. AND FROM THERE U CAN COOL THEM DOWN OR WARM THEM UP. Regular temp is from 101-103 ANYTHING ABOVE AND UNDER IS NO GOOD, (well my vet said that 103.8 was normal)

THEY ALSO SELL A RABBIT 1ST AID KIT ONLINE, BUY IT. IT HAPPENS SO QUICK THAT U WON"T EVEN KNOW.

meg
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

MeggieQC, keep us posted on how your little girl is doing. Hope she gets much better soon!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hi Everyone

We went to the vet tonight. She was really impressed with Dédé's improvement, really happy.

She took her off of her meds. (YEAAHH) we'll see how it goes without it, i hope she'll keep on getting better. She gave us creams and other stuffs cause she "crawls" around and it has scabed her chest and back of the rear paws.

This morning i found her in her little box, which is like a cat litter box so the sides are pretty high. The vet told us to do physical therapy on her, so it might get back close to normal. She's doing really good.

For the E.Cuniculi, she said she doesn't think she had that because of the high fever, she's sending blood test of my 2 bunnies as a sample for new ways of testing E.Cuniculi, something like that (but we will also find out if they are positive or negative)

So hopefully in a month she;ll be able to jump on the bed and run everywhere. Her Vet bills total is now $1200.00. OUCH!!! but i do not care at all

So i'll keep u posted

The vet almost had tears of joy in her eyes (Last time she saw her she was like a vegetable, and now she's all there)

Thanks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Part of the Pack

i am so glad to hear this good news!!! :hpydance:

hopefully she will be 100% soon enough. I can't wait til you update again and say she's hopping around and junping onto your bed!

2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the great new! Your bunny is so lucky to have you to care for her!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hello everyone

I just wanted to share a before and after pics of Dédé, i guess as a way of saying TY. It might look bad, but compare to a rabbit lying flat on its chest and sitting in the corner of the cage like a vegetable it's a big difference. I think she will lose her claw, it got all infected and scabed when she was dragging herself. I mean this i a HUGE improvement compare to before. Even the vet couldn't beleive it. (I don;t know why the 1st one is small, reloaded 2 times and it's still smalls)

Before:

After:

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR SUPPORT
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for updating and sharing your story with us. I can't tell you how happy I am to see your girl doing so much better.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Update
Dede is doing good beside the fever. The vet gave us other med for the Fever cause it keeps going up and down. I think there is still some infection or whatever it was, why would she have fever then? And she pees pinkish, the vet says there is no blood in her urine

Now my other bunny almost stop eating. The vet "buffed" his teeth cause they don't grow right, and then we went again cause it hadn't improved and she buffed the other side.

I think he's jealous cause i have to pick the other one up twice a day to take her temp. I got Mr.Shakes when he was young, when i adopted Dede he stopped eating for the 1st couple of days and then started again. Now that we have paid so much attention to dede, i think he's getting a little jealous. I try to pet him and he goes away (unusual)

Has anyone ever experience their rabbit being jealous?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Part of the Pack

oh yes! when i got my second rabbit - my first one just gave me the cold shoulder for a while!!! she was beside herself! eventually she gave it up cause she craved the attention of being petted and held again. i think in her own way she just had to make her point. She also used to bite me if i smelled like Sniffles (the youngest) but that has stopped now too.

i'm sure things will calm down soon! i think all our buns are just real sensitive and possessive of us,like children get with new siblings. good luck with them!

2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

Tags
litter box