Havana's? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Havana's?

One of the breeders I'm emailing with said that Mini-rex's and Havana's are good for smaller kids. I googled pics and the Havana's are gorgeous, do any of you know anything about them?

http://lapinrex.free.fr/photo/rhavane.jpg

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:01 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christi
One of the breeders I'm emailing with said that Mini-rex's and Havana's are good for smaller kids. I googled pics and the Havana's are gorgeous, do any of you know anything about them?

http://lapinrex.free.fr/photo/rhavane.jpg
Sorry I don't, but what a gorgeous looking bunny that is!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:02 PM

Don't know anything either. He is so pretty and looks sooo soft!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:20 PM

Havanas first appeared in the U.S. in 1916, imported by rabbit breeders visiting England, and soon Ohio and Illinois had many dedicated Havana breeders, where it was not unusual to have a hundred or more exhibited in shows there during the late 30’s. Then they spread to other midwest and western states.

Due to improved uniformity in color and the “near mink” texture of their fur in an era when furs were quite popular, Havana pelts were in great demand due to the fact that neither dying or shearing were required in matching pelts. Pelts were selling for as much as $1.00 each in 1928.

Realizing the great future of the Havana rabbit, ten fanciers met in Akron, Ohio, in September 1925 and organized the present Havana Club, later known as the American Federation of Havana Breeders, and today as the Havana Rabbit Breeders Association.

In the mid 30’s, the desire for a larger pelt led to the development of a new strain of Havana, called the “Heavy Weights” and later the “American,” weighing up to nine pounds. This was done without crossing, but by limiting size of litters, special feeding, and selective mating. When they were standardized in 1938, the regular Havanas became known as the Standard Havana, today the Chocolate Havana. However, considerable type of the petite, cozy, and cobby little chocolate soldiers was lost by increasing the size of the American, and by the late 40’s, these breeders became extinct and were dropped from the Standard for lack of interest.

In 1930, a well-known and respected Havana breeder, Mr. Walter Huey of Pendleton, Indiana, discovered quite by accident a new mutation of Havana rabbit while attempting by intensive inbreeding and selection to improve the color of the chocolate brown known as Havana. Research established and proved that some of these formerly discarded specimens were truly an entirely new coat mutation of separate characteristics, the hair shaft being finer in texture and the hair more dense, intensifying a rich glossy chocolate color, and a simple recessive character. At first these Havanas were shown in competition against the Standard Havana, but this raised a storm of protest which precipitated their being acknowledged as an entirely new coat mutation. Later they were standardized as the Satin Havana with the same type and weight description as the Standard Havana.

By the same type of genetic breeding, it was found that the Satin finish could be passed on successfully to other solid color breeds, the White Satin being the first other established satinized fur, until today there are nine recognized varieties and a separate breed sponsored by the American Satin Rabbit Breeders Association.

In 1965, the Blue Havana was accepted by the Havana Rabbit Breeders Association, having the same type, weight, etc., except color as the Chocolates.

In 1980, a third variety was accepted, namely, Black, with the same standard description, weight, etc., except color, with the stipulation that no other varieties by added ever, and sweepstakes points to be kept separate on each variety, but all three varieties were to compete for BOB and BOS.

Lee O. Stamm is generally given credit for originating both the Blue and Black varieties.

English Havana Standard compares favorably with our present Havana Standard except they have two varieties, both chocolate in color, but one variety is slightly larger than the regular Havana and has Rex fur.

The best thing to do is go to this Havana Forum: http://www.havanarba.com/classifieds_&_postings.htm I am sure somebody there will help you out!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:22 PM

BTW is that a pic of a Havana? Because if it is, I wonder if it's a mix because it doesnt look like the Havana's on here: http://www.havanarba.com/new_page_6.htm
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

It does to me, I think it's a Chocolate.

Thanks for the info.

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:29 PM

I don't know anything about havana's, but that is a gorgeous rabbit.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:33 PM

Wow, beautiful rabbit! I have never heard of those before. And you already know how I feel about mini-rex's
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:39 PM

Well did you at least see the pics on the link? I don't really see a similarity. The one on the pic is more stalky. That's why I am wondering if that one is a mix. I dont think that a particular breed is better for smaller kids. I have a 18 month old son and a Netherland Dwarf and I have no problem there. Just bunnies are not for smaller kids.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 11:17 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

That is a Rex rabbit, from this French site

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/langua...fgalerie1.html

I think they are referring to the color as Havana.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Thanks Catherine!!

Wife to an amazing man,

|

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine
That is a Rex rabbit, from this French site

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/langua...fgalerie1.html

I think they are referring to the color as Havana.
LOL, I thought that looked like a rex! Go rex bunnies! I love them.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Havana's and mini-rexs are both very sweet bunnies. I love Havana's and they seem to be mellow and very affectionate.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
netherland dwarf