hay cost and bunny products - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

hay cost and bunny products

I am wondering how much it costs to buy a pound or a kilogram of hay in your countries?

Here, hay cost a fortune for bunny parents to buy only a "bag," probably because they are imported from somewhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Part of the Pack

Here in Alberta Canada, a bag sold in the pet stores costs $8 - $9. I just bought a square bale from a farm for $5. It will probably take over a year for him to get through that!!!! How much does it cost where you are?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

($8-$9 canadian dollars or US dollars?) I wouldn't believe it. So cheap to raise a bunny in Canada. Here, a bale costs around US 60 dollars. I am amazed that bunny parents can buy a swaure bale from a a. That will never happen here. >_<||| How about bunny parents from countries other than Canada? Do you also give feeds to your bunnies? or just hay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyholic
I wouldn't believe it. So cheap to raise a bunny in Canada. Here, a bale costs around US 60 dollars.
You're going to hate me... My sister's husband has acres of cow and hay fields. I get mini square bales from him for free (they're about half the size of a normal square bale) which is enough for a few months. And if I had to get them from someone else, I could get a huge round bale (these bales are about 4 feet wide and 6 feet tall) for about $10 (US) - my buns wouldn't eat all of that in a year.

My buns also eat pellets. I get a bag of plain Timothy hay pellets and then mix it with a bag of Timothy pellets that have dried carrots, bananas, sunflower seeds, etc., in it. And of course they get their veggies as well.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Wow, you really broaden my horizon. I can imagine your buns step on timothy, such is impossible here. Hay here is too expensive. But luckily, my buns have juicy fruits and fresh veggies. (I can't never imagine a square bale in my storehouse.)

All right, do you give your buns feeds? We have Oxbow and Hartz here.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Title Thief Victim

when I had my bunny, I also got the hay free, my friend has horses, and what ever falls out i can have.

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyholic
Wow, you really broaden my horizon. I can imagine your buns step on timothy, such is impossible here. Hay here is too expensive. But luckily, my buns have juicy fruits and fresh veggies. (I can't never imagine a square bale in my storehouse.)

All right, do you give your buns feeds? We have Oxbow and Hartz here.
I feed Oxbow...it's one of the best brands you can get . Hartz, on the other hand, is one of the worst ones you can get .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I feed Oxbow. It was recommended to me by 2 vets for my Tabby. I just continued with Oxbow when we got Oliver and Ophelia. I buy Timothy hay by the bag. A large 96 oz bag is about $12-14.00. I tried to get a bale of hay for them but it's so yellow and dirty inside I was afraid to give it to them. It was a bale for $5.50. Is that what a bale of hay is supposed to look like? Yellow on the outside and much darker inside? The guy told me it was a mix with Timothy and Alfalfa. I would LOVE to switch because it would be so much cheaper but I am hesitant.
Opinions?

I do use the wood pellet stove pellets as litter now. So much cheaper! Under $5.00 for a 40 pound bag. I am always changing the bunny boxes. I go through a lot of litter.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Alfalfa hay contains much calcium (I guess you know it). If your bun children are already 1 year old, you should be careful in your alfalha hay offer to them. Alfalfa smells wonderful (I guess no buns would resist it), but too much alfalfa hay may cause lithiasis.

yellow on the outside and much darker inside? Same in most cow and sheep farms here.

I use Prestige, Oxbow, Beaphar for my buns. Besides, here we have a lot other brands of feed made in Japan.

So wonderful to share things with you here. ^^
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM

My blend of pellets is Oxbow (plain) and Kaytie (good stuff - by bunnies point of view).
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Part of the Pack

I heard that the crops are sown with something else such as oats or alfalpha. When the first cut is done the timothy only grows back for a second cutting. The hay is cut then dried for a day or two and then baled. If it has not been rained on or left to the weather it is usually nice and green. The yellow straw looking kind has been left out in the weather and I believe has lost some of the nutrients. I know my bunny must have been starving when I couldn't purchase the green timothy for a couple weeks. Now that we have that huge bale.........he's been eating like a horse.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 12:28 AM

The bags you can buy in the store range from $6 to $12.
I buy Timothy Hay buy the bail for $14 and it lasts me quite some time, I can even donate it to others who need some and still have lots
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 06:37 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

in the UK i get a bale from my local farm for &#163;3 sorry but i don't no what that is in dollars

Come see more of my fur babies at

Tags
alfalfa hay, pet store, pet stores, sunflower seeds, timothy hay