Hay everywhere!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hay everywhere!!

Is there anything you can buy or make to put around the area where my buns hay rack is, so that there isn't hay everywhere?

Thanks

----------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- Trixie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Playful Pup

That's one of the reasons I stopped putting hay in a rack - they'd pull it out, knock it around, make a huge mess and not eat it. The local house rabbit society chapter here recommends that you put their hay right in their litterbox - and it's actually worked out great. The litterbox is slightly bigger, so their pee stays in there, they do most of their business IN the box while they're munching on the hay, and it keeps the hay from going all over the place - so it helped out with both litterbox training and keeping the hay in check.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak82 View Post
That's one of the reasons I stopped putting hay in a rack - they'd pull it out, knock it around, make a huge mess and not eat it. The local house rabbit society chapter here recommends that you put their hay right in their litterbox - and it's actually worked out great. The litterbox is slightly bigger, so their pee stays in there, they do most of their business IN the box while they're munching on the hay, and it keeps the hay from going all over the place - so it helped out with both litterbox training and keeping the hay in check.
This is what I do and it works pretty well.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

I gave up on hay racks! I have a corner litter box that they didn't use as a littler box so I put the hay in there and it mostly stays put. Before that I was putting it in a cardboard box with one side cut out. It worked well except it couldn't be washed so I kept having to find new boxes to use.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

Speaking of hay - at what age can I switch from Alfalfa to other kinds?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM
is a little "special"

I have a hay rack, but I always put hay in Smudges litter boxes too. I just vacuum every once in a while if it gets too out of control, LOL.

2babygirls- Buns can have alfalfa untill they are 1 year old. You can give them other kinds of hay too while theyre young... Multiple kinds of hay make it more interesting for them!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

I use a hay rack too. I put hay in their litter boxes, but with 3 rabbits sharing the boxes the hay gets either eaten or peed on pretty quickly. I use the hay rack so they have access to fresh hay all the time even if they run out of it in their litter box. I vacuum their room about every other day or so, before the mess gets too bad.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Newborn Pup

I have a post out there awaiting answers but was reading all the other posts.

How the heck do you litter box train rabbits? That would be a wonderful thing if I could do this.

I thought I was going to use hay for their bedding but if they are going to poop in it that won't work. Yikes I'm really confused.

First the litter box trainig, how does that work?
Lee Ann
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Rodentologist

Rabbits are very easy to littertrain. Typically if you leave the floor bare and provide a litterbox in the corner that they're used to going in, most will adapt quite easily. Spaying and neutering is also essential to litter training (as well as providing a lot of health benefits).

Hay makes very poor bedding because it is not very absorbent.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I just use towels for the bedding. I put hay in a hay rack and in the litter pan. Rabbits like to graze and go to the bathroom at the same time. If you put some hay in the litter pan it will help with training them. Also, if you have the litter pan inside of the cage just watch to see which area they're using as a bathroom, you may need to rearrange the cage and put the litter pan in the area where they're using it most.

----------------------------------------------

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Betta Bomb

I keep the litterboxes in the corner and in the 90 degree angle is where the makeshift hay racks are hung. Since Im way thriftier than pet stores allow, I bought these metal hanging things in the kitchen section of the dollar store. They have a hook at the top which I used to hang on the squares of the NIC bits in whatever level I want. When I refill the racks, I put all uneaten hay on the litter for them to sit on. Then they have their ground hay and a rack. I agree it is a wicked MESS, plus mine are on carpet so clean up is so hard.. There really is nothing to do as long as there are bunnies in your home..You'll get used to it... O.o

Tags
cage