Hay types and pellets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hay types and pellets

I apologize for the large number of threads I create with questions, haha. I just worry that I'm not doing my absolute best to care for my pets sometimes.

I recently read an article about feeding rabbits that said that rabbits under 7 months should be eating alfalfa hay and not timothy. This confused me, as I have read other places that alfalfa is high in calcium and calories. I feed both bunnies timothy hay, and both are under 7 months. What are all of your opinions on this? Is timothy hay really the best for all bunnies regardless of age or should I switch to alfalfa until the bunnies are 7 months? Or is there another type of hay that would be better? There has been a hay shortage in my area and alfalfa and oat hay have been hard to find.

Also, what brand of pellets do you all use? I've been getting Kaytee pro health for juvenile rabbits. Does anyone have any opinions on that type? I usually hate Kaytee, but their rabbit food seemed decent (the stuff that wasn't seeds anyways ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sophie the pitbull <3
Jayma the Holland Lop <3
Mariska the Holland Lop <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:20 PM
is a little "special"

Alfalfa is actually great for young bunnies, because they need the extra calories and energy to help them grow. It's good for senior buns to, if they are having problems keeping on weight.
If you can find alfalfa, then go ahead and give it to them. If you can't I don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm guessing that the pellets you feed them are alfalfa based anyways.

For food brands, I use Oxbow. I've been really pleased with their food, and so has Smudge. Kaytee's plain pellets are OK, they aren't the best but they aren't the worst either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Should the pellets be alfalfa based? The juvenile food has sun cured alfalfa meal as the first ingredient and the adult has sun cured timothy hay as the first ingredient... Hmm...

I love oxbow! I fed that brand to my ratties! I didn't know they made rabbit food. Do I need to find pellets that are specifically for juveniles? Most pellets say they are for adult rabbits.

Sophie the pitbull <3
Jayma the Holland Lop <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:15 PM
is a little "special"

Yes, get alfalfa based for your buns, and switch them to Timothy based once they are about 1 year old. Timothy is lower in calories and calcium than alfalfa is, so that's why you switch once they are adults... Other wise you'll end up with a chubby bunny!

Yup, Oxbow makes a really good rabbit food! It's pretty popular.
They only difference between the "Juvenile" and "Adult" rabbit food is what kind of hay is used in the pellets. Anything that is alfalfa based can be used for younger buns, and anything that is Timothy based can be used for adults.
Does that make more sense?

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Betta Bomb

^^ As long as the food don't have colorful bits and grains and corn and all that junk. I feed Martins Timothy pellets. Have been for over 3 years, the stores get in Oxbow now but I don't want the hassle of switching yet. A 2lb bag lasts me more than a month for 1 bunner. Oxbow is the best I hear. High fibre is #1 importance though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for the tips!!! How hard is it to switch what kind of pellets you use and how should you introduce new pellets into their diet?
Also, how long should they be fed alfalfa based food? I'vd heard a year and I've heard 7 months so I'm not entirely sure.

Sophie the pitbull <3
Jayma the Holland Lop <3
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Betta Bomb

I think around 7 months you can incorporate a mix in diet like veggies and different hays but include smaller and smaller doses of alfalfa. After he's a year stop feeding alfalfa. Introducing new pellets should be done gradually. Start with no more than 25% of the new food in the bowl of reg pellets. Over the course of a week or so increase the new food by 20% to let belly get used to it.