Heavy object landed on top of bunny - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Heavy object landed on top of bunny

My bunny, Snow, just had a little accident. I was tipping over the couch like I always do when I let him out to roam the basement so he doesn't run underneath it since then it's really hard to get him out. I didn't see that he had run underneath the back part of the couch. The couch didn't go all the way down, and since it was sliding against the wall, I thought it was stuck and pressed down a bit. I had seen Snow run in the other direction before, so I didn't think he was under it, but then I turned to look for him to make sure, but I couldn't see him. I lifted the couch and sure enough he was behind the backing. I quickly picked him up and he was breathing hard since he was scared. I, of course, was freaking out. I took him upstairs and let him run to test his legs, and he's moving around fine, and his breathing is normal again. But I'm afraid he might be hiding his injuries, though he doesn't express any pain at all and runs around fine. I don't know how much weight from the couch was actually on him since the backing where he was under is soft, but I'm really upset that I actually pushed on it while he was under there. It wasn't hard or anything, but I feel so bad about it. Do you think I should get him to the vet, or will he be fine as long as he moves around and acts normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Hello Earthling

I would say get him to the vet. Rabbits are prey animals so they will hide their pain till it is too late.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I know they can hide their pain very well, but I doubt they'd be running around and moving normally if any bones had been broken, or any organs had been crushed. He is 100% himself and is very happy at the moment. I also re-enacted what happened with myself under the back of the couch, and I realized the couch actually gets stuck by itself on the way down, even when I push on it, so therefore hardly if any weight was on Snow when he was under there. I consider both of us very lucky, and it makes me sick to think what could have happened if the whole weight of the couch actually had been on him. I definitely won't be tipping the couch over when he's on the loose ever again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

I would think he would of screamed at the time he was under there if he was in pain. But just to be sure I would take him to the vet. Bunnies are so fragile. Try not to feel bad - accidents happen.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, if he broke a bone or something he most likely would have screamed. I remember hearing him scream a long time ago when he was still very young. I had him outside when it was dark, and the sprinkler came on and he thought a predator was coming through the grass toward him. I never want to hear that again! I think I will take him to the vet just to get checked up tomorrow, just to be sure he's completely ok. Right now it doesn't look like an emergency, but I'm keeping a close watch on him. If he does anything abnormal, I'll try to get him to an emergency vet today.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 01:39 PM
the rodent lover<3

rabbits can hide their injuries. if you're concerned i'd say take him to the vet. x)

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I would take him to the vet, just to be safe. might be good to have a checkup anyway and make the trip worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Betta Bomb

For sure, what everyone else said. Vet check up should be half cheap.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the advise, everyone. The earliest appointment I can get with my regular vet is tomorrow afternoon. I want to see her since I want to get Snow's teeth done right away too, and she's the only one who can clip them without using anaesthetic. However, if he shows any symptoms of pain today, I will take him in as an emergency. We live an hour away from a rabbit savvy vet, but I think he'll be ok. He's definitely not showing any pain right now. He's eating normally, and he's super active. I could never get him neutered due to medical problems he had in the past, and he's been on a hormone rampage for about 2 weeks now! His behaviour didn't change after the accident, he's still hopping around like mad, and stomping his foot in frustration like he always does when he gets like this. I would think if he had been injured in any way, he wouldn't be able to move like that even if he had wanted to. But it is better to be safe than sorry, so I will be bringing him in tomorrow for sure for a check-up.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

Glad you got an appointment.
Did you mean his nails clipped instead of teeth??

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

No, I did mean teeth. He has dental disease and is prone to molar spurs. He has to get them trimmed down every 2 months or so. It's been just over a month, and they're not too bad yet, but since I'll already be at the vet tomorrow might as well get it done too so we don't have to make another trip this month, well, hopefully we don't.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

Oh ok, the word "clipped" threw me off.
Well, hope his appointment goes good
Let us know

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

They take this small tool and clip off the sharp edges of the teeth. Poor little guy, his mouth is hurting now.

His appointment went very well. The vet gave him a through physical exam and found no injuries, or anything else wrong with him.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

Ouch! Poor bunny.
I'm glad he didn't have any injuries

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Rodentologist

Maybe they could send home pain medication with him? Our dental problem bunnies get pain meds sent home with them so they're not sore all night.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry