Heeeelllllppppppp - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Angry Heeeelllllppppppp

I feel really stupid! We've had Oreo for just over a year now and had him neutered when he was younger so that we could get him a mate. About three months ago, we bought Mali, a beautiful fluffy white rabbit to be his friend. Mali was quite young in the pet shop but when we looked we were sure it was a female. The pet-shop owner told us it was female. We took it to the vet and even he said it was female. Now that Mali's a bit older, she has started acting a bit strangely, chinning things and stuff. This morning, we caught her trying to mount Oreo (who we know for sure is male!). You guessed it... Mali's male!!!

What can we do? We're going to have to give Mali away. Poor Oreo's destined not to have a mate.

Please Help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Why do you have to give the rabbit away? If you think it's because males never get along, that's not true. I bonded a pair of neutered male rabbits and they get along wonderfully. And my brother has two males who live together peacefully...and they aren't even neutered yet!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with Steph.. I have 2 males who are both neutered and unrelated! Yes they have had their moments, but 95% of the time life is good!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

What's the problem? Why don't you get Mali fixed? It calms the hormones and then the two can get along wonderfully, I'm sure.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oh I forgot my 2 males live together, with 2 females..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for your advice guys... if they can live together without having females, then it's worth a try to get Mali sorted. I'll give it a go!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Happier now! We found a good home for Mali because him and Oreo just weren't getting along. The same day, we were given another baby rabbit that is definately female! Oreo is getting on so much better with her than he was with Mali. We've yet to decide on a name for her so I've attached some pics. Maybe you guys can help with a name?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm1.jpg (41.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg sm2.jpg (40.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg sm3.jpg (38.3 KB, 8 views)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 PM
nikky

i have two males (yeah they have had a little tiff) but no way would i get rid of one of them and they get on great now they are best of buds..

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unfortunately ours were tearing chunks out of each other and it worried me too much that they would do each other some serious damage. Mali's new parent's rabbit had died recently and they already have a huge hutch for him and everything. I'm sure they will give him a good home.

Oreo seems much happier again now (although he's still nursing his bites!) and the new baby we've got was destined for the pot in a few weeks time, so better that we look after her!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Are you sure you want to put your rabbit with another one so soon? They don't forget fights you know, not quickly anyways. And whatever happened to quarantine?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Newborn Pup

Was just wondering why you decided Mali was male after the vet said he was female! Female rabbits chin and mount too! I have 3 females and 3 males and they all do it! I also believe that any 2 rabbits can be paired up, it just takes a bit more patience and cunning for some!!! But I guess it's too late now as you've already got rid of the poor bunny!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Part of the Pack

That's too bad about Mali, but hopefully his new home will be very happy do they have him in a hutch outside? perhaps you could find out if they will find him a buddy to groom and cuddle with.

Your new female bunny is gorgeous by the way - she and Oreo make an adorable bunny couple. hehe i can't think of any names at the moment, but she is a beauty.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Playful Pup

Thats exactly what I was thinking touie. I had a female (I KNOW she was because she gave birth to babies when my friend rescued her) that mounted my cats, and she also mounted a male bunny I had here for awhile. I just assumed it was a dominance thing, like with dogs.

Anyway, I hope Mali is happy with his/her new family, and that Oreo gets along with the new bunny.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for your input guys... I know Mali was male because he had something distinctive to the male species which was sticking out after he tried to mount Oreo!!!!

Tags
neutered male, pet shop