Hello to all - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Hello to all

Hello I am a newbie here and am hoping to get some advice on our Rabbit problem.........

My name is Patti and we have 3 rabbits, 2 females, Snowflake and Patches, and 1 Male - Carmel. Our problem is lengthy so I will make it short. We have tried unsuccessfully to breed our rabbits.
The females get pregnant, and have the babies, but Patches is just not knowledgable as to what to do and this has resulted in the babies dying, they froze. Snowflake has had three litters with us over the past three years, but once they reach the 6 - 8 week timeperiod they all look healthy one moment and then are seizing and dying the next. We don't know what this is or how it is happening, but my daughter has bred her again, and we now have 4 week old babies and I am worried once again that the same thing will happen!!!!! I have searched and searched and talked with other breeders and no one has a clue as to what is happening. I have been told many things to do but I am unsure as to what to do as every piece of advice I get is different.....I am so confused and don't think I could handle losing another batch. Does anyone out there know what is happening to our babies? Some say to give the babies Selenium, others say to ensure that the bedding is dry, others say that our female is missing something in the genetics that causes this to happen.......I am at a loss, and am reaching out to see what type of response I can get.......please help? thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 05:15 PM

Red face

Hi Patti and to PT! I have 4 bunnies - 2 females Amber & Jasmine and 2 males Billy & Harvey.. I also have 5 degus.. Look forward to hearing more about you and your pets..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 04:45 PM

Why don't you keep them somewhere warmer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:02 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

What diet do you feed your rabbits? What were the 6-8 week olds being fed? Did they die after you weaned them or were they still in with their mother? Did you notice if they were pooping and peeing as normal before they died?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

To Bleety, I have usually had the babies in the summer and kept them out of direct sun but was always warm, so the temperature does not seem to be the problem, but thanx
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

To Catherine: The babies would come out of the nest box when they were able and nibble with mom on her food, which was alfalfa cubes, produce and water. They were not weaned but of the age that the mom could start weaning. They were still in with mom, and I could not tell if there was secretions happening with them. She is a really good mom and keeps them clean. I have heard just recently from the vet that maybe it is parasites passed from the parents that get more bothersome the older that they get, or that the mom is weaning them too soon, but it just does not sit with me that that is the reason. Just sounded like he was grasping to give me an answer. They want me to bring them in but the journey from the country to the city would be too much for them. They are such nervous animals, I would not like to do that. Thanx for all the questions, I will continue to post what is happening to let all know if these babies are successful at breaking the cycle. I will say alot of prayers and hope they are answered with life.

Tags
nest box