Hello everyone. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Hello everyone.

Hi, I am new to this board.
My family and I have just bought a bunny yesterday.
This is our first bunny and we already love her. We do not know what type she is (bout her at a market from a breeder.) my sister and mom didnt ask her what kind she is. i will post some pictures in a little and see if you guys can help me determine what breed she is. She loves running around a jumping in the air but she hates being picked up. nobody in my family really knows anything about house rabbits so i have taken it upon myself to research about them and learn all i can to care for my rabbit as best i can.

She is unspayed and about a month old. does she have to be spayed? and if we were to get another rabbit and we do not want them to breed would the best choice be an altered male, unaltered female, or an altered female? thanks everybody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Welcome to the forum! Sorry I don't really know much about buns :C

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
Welcome to the forum! Sorry I don't really know much about buns :C
ha its allright. thanks for the welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 PM

Hello! Welcome to the forum! I don't know much about bunnies either, haven't owned one since I was a kid. But welcome anyways! Hope you enjoy it here. There's a lot of great people that I'm sure can help you out though. Post pics of your bunny if you can, would love to see her!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

it wont let me post pics yet. so my rabbit is my avatar picture. if anyone has any idea what kind of bunny she is let me know haha!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Maybe it is an Angora rabbit, but it looks smallish. It could be a dwarf rabbit.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:45 AM
Rodentologist

It's a very cute bunny! Yes, rabbits do need to be spayed, although as young as your bunny is it is still possible that it's a male. Missexing is common in younger rabbits, especially from sources like markets.

Generally, the best choice for a companion for a spayed female is a neutered male, although each bun has their own personality, of course! Your best bet is to have your rabbit spayed, wait for her to heal and for her hormones to settle down, and then visit a local rabbit rescue to do some bunny "dating" to see which rabbit your rabbits likes.

I'd recommend reading rabbit.org for care information on rabbits since you're a newbie. Make sure your bunny has unlimited hay!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Hello Earthling

Welcome!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

Welcome!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 03:46 PM

hey,
welcome to the forum.
sorry i haven't ever owned a bunny but from your pic i looks like a cute bunny.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Betta Bomb

Hi and WELCOME!!
Very lovely bunneh there
Any questions you have will be answered here, unless its emergency. I wish you a fantastic stay here. I learned ALOT and continue to learn about bunnies, its a never ending journey. Spaying will help calm her down and make it easier to bond her to another bunnie as well as train her. Good luck
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Playful Pup

Hello and Welcome!!!
I got my bunny from the humane society and they were discouraging me from purchasing my bunny as they thought she was socialized and wouldn't be good around kids and suggested others. After my research, I read that spaying helps calm them down, and with my bunny, it's very true!!! She's a great little bunny who hops into my kids laps and lets them pet her now.

----------------------------------------------

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy