Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation Help!

So, I just bought Ruby's NEW cage.

Say good-bye to the old, dirty wire bottom cage and all the dangers it comes with! Say hello to her new giant plastic bottom cage she can run around in!

But I have a problem. I lined the bottom with newspaper and she tore it all up and now its all over the place and it looks very sloppy and messy. So here was my idea:

1) Line the cage with 3-4 days of newspaper
2) On top of the newspaper, put a layer of hay
3) Put toys, food dish, ext. in.
3) Put a box filled with old phone books and other papers to chew on (to make avoid her chewing up the newspaper under the hay)

So, what do you think? Yes? No?
Any other ideas that you do with your rabbits?

THANKS!

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

p.s.- sorry the one above was sooo long!

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 12:40 PM
is a little "special"

When Smudge come inside hes litter box trained, so I dont put anything on the floor of his cage except his blankie ^^In his hutch tho, I have linoluim flooring, wich is super easy to clean, so it works really nice! You have to make sure she doesnt chew it tho... Ive put carpeting in his cage too, but its a pain to clean it he pees on it, and again you had t make sure she doenst chew it.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the new cage!

Aww but rabbits think it's so fun to rip up paper! Zeus and Barnaby love it, they could do it all day.

I wouldn't put a layer of hay on the whole bottom of the cage, because keep in mind that rabbits usually go to the bathroom while their eating their hay. I'd stick to hay only in or near the litter box, because if its all over the cage then she might go to the bathroom all over the cage instead of just in her litter box. Then you'll end up having to change the hay and clean the cage more often. You wouldn't want to leave wet hay in the cage too long because it can get moldy.

What about linning the bottom of the cage with fleece blankets? Thats what I do - the fleece doesn't fray like other fabrics so they can't get their nails caught in it, its nice and soft, and if it gets dirty all you have to do is throw it into the wash. You should be able to go into a craft or fabric store and find fleece easily, then you can buy a couple of pieces to rotate in the cage while the others are dirty. Zeus and Barnaby like to play in the blankets too, they go underneith them and move them around how they want it, it's really cute.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks Dragonrain!

I think I'm gonna run over to AC Moore and get a fleece blanket today!

Hope that works! Keep the suggestions coming!

-George Eliot

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm also going to take this opportunity to ask you all another question.

Ruby is a meanie sometimes.
When I go to take her out of the cage, she moves her back legs so hard and her nails (even right after they've been trimmed) dig into my skin and I've even gotten a few scars from her! She doesn't like to be held either. She lives outside and when I bring her inside I have to carry her and she kill kick and try to escape. Sometimes it gets so bad I almost drop her. And when she is roaming around the back porch if I pet her she stops and gets really still and starts shaking. I never raise my voice to her and I've never hurt her so I don't know why she's like this. I don't think its because she hasn't been spayed because Thumper (my old rabbit) loved to be held and loved me petting him and he was older and never neutered. My mom and dad loved Thumper's good temperament and thought about letting him live in the house but now they don't really want to keep Ruby anymore and I'm fighting for her but my parents just don't like her bad temperament.

Any help?
((sorry this was so long thanks for those of you who read it all))

-George Eliot

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

Many rabbits just don't like to be picked up. Remember, in the wild, the only time rabbits get picked up are in the jaws of predators! This just isn't something they're naturally adapted to, so many rabbits just absolutely hate it, and there's not much you can do about it. If she knows that you always pick her up whenever you come near, that might explain why she's scared of you.

With Flash, I know he hates being picked up. I pick him up once per day just to get him used to it and to check his neutering scar, but that's been over 2 weeks so it's mostly healed now. But that's it for picking him up. Mostly, I interact with him by getting down on the floor and petting him, or playing with him.

I also never force him into or out of his cage. When it's play time, I open the door, and he can come out if he wants, but he doesn't have to. When it's time for him to go back in, I lure him into the cage with a treat. He's gotten so used to this that I just have to rattle the treat bag, and he runs for the cage and waits for me to give him one.

Actually, the whole indoor/outdoor thing with having to be picked up to come in might be part of the cause of her unfriendliness. If you were to let her live indoors, where she could just wander in and out of her cage without having to get picked up, she would probably be much happier with you and your family.

One other thing - get her spayed. Even if she's never going to be with a male bunny, female rabbits have VERY high rates of cancer in the uterus. Besides, her personality might become less territorial if she's spayed. That's the case with many rabbits.

--Fromper
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ok well I used to have to force her out of the cage for playtime because the cage we had was on stilts and I couldnt just open the door and let her out unless I wanted her to jump out and break a leg. And she isn't allowed to live indoors: that's not even an option.

And I will DEFIANTLY spay her. You're preaching to the spaying choir about that. I researched it and its just better for your rabbit if you get them spayed/neutered.
But thanks. I just got a new cage which I can just open and let her out. That should help a lot!

-George Eliot

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 05:44 PM
is a little "special"

If she doesnt like being carried, you could also try a small crate or something to transport her to

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, I experimented just now because it was storming very badly and I had to bring her in. I just wrapped a towel around her so she was all bundled up. She stayed very still and since the towel was there even if she did move she couldn't scratch me. She wasn't shaking like she usually was either. Maybe it was that she didn't feel safe, but in the towel she does? Idc what it is. I found something that works! Thanks to everyone!!

-George Eliot