help with cleaning bunny pl;ease - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

help with cleaning bunny pl;ease

we have a 7yr old bunny that has never cleaned her self so we have always bathed her,but last weekend we bathed her and went to bath her on tue and found some maggots on her,we very quickly took her to the vets where she was sorted out but now we can't bath her and are having problems getting her properly clean.
she has arthrites in her back legs which is also making it difficult any help would be very apriciated
thanks for looking
lorna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 04:39 PM
is a little "special"

Is she kept outside? If she is, you really need to bring her indoors- Having a messy butt could kill her, because of fly strike. Ive never heard of indoor rabbits getting flystrike, so she would be much safer there. Instead on completely bathing her, try using a wet washcloth to wipe her off.
I hope she is OK!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Jess is right. If she is outside and you can't bring her in, perhaps you could use mosquito netting to cover her hutch and make sure no flies can get in her hutch from underneath. When you let her out for exercise, make sure her butt is clean before putting her back in her hutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Why doesn't she clean herself? Is she overweight or anything? Usually only sick or overweight rabbits don't groom themselves.

Did you vet offer any solutions to how to keep her clean if he/she said not to bathe her?

You can look at this site, I was thinking specifically the dry bath directions might help you.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/buttbath.html
Quote:
Dry Bath Procedure
1. Purchase a container of Baby Cornstarch Powder (DO NOT use Baby Powder or any sort of powder that contains talc, as talc is a respiratory irritant and may even be carcinogenic!) from the grocery store baby section. You can use either unscented or scented cornstarch powder. DO NOT use commercial flea powders or other pesticides on your bunny. Use only baby-safe cornstarch powder for best, safest results.

2. Place bunny is a comfortable position so that the soiled parts are easily accessible. This may involve placing him in your lap on a bunched towel so that he feels secure, or simply laying him on the floor in a comfortable position, if he's calm and won't try to run off.

3. Liberally apply the cornstarch to the soiled areas, and gently work the powder down into the fur, around messy poops, and down to the skin.

4. Work the powder around any stubborn clumps of debris gently. As the cornstarch coats the mess, it will slide away easily.

5. Once the largest bits of mess have been removed, use a soft-tipped brush to gently loosen any remaining dirt and debris.

6. Pat the powdered areas well to remove loose powder.

Bunny should be clean and fragrant in just a few minutes! Rabbits generally enjoy a dry bath, and will sit quietly as the soothing powder takes away the sting of urine burn.
I would also recommend taking her inside if she isn't already. While rabbits can still get flystrike inside, it isn't as common.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thanks to all
she is an outdoor rabbit she used to be out there with her 2 sisters 2 brothers and her mum,they have all gone now but they where always in the garden not in the hutch much only at night.
she is not over wieght now she did used to be when she had all the others food to eat,she has always been a lazy bunny not wanting to come out to play but the last year she has been on her own and has come out more,i think that is why she now has arthriters in her back legs.
she ok now but has been shaved and i think that it why we not aloud to bath her,thanks again for all you'r help
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Rodentologist

If you think she has arthritis, she needs a vet appointment and to be on some type of medication to help alleviate the pain.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

she has medication for her arthrites also on baytrill and cream for her skin where she was shaved
she gets around ok (sort of)she eats everything
we have had her indoors the last few days as she can't be in the garden just yet.
i'm just having trouble cleaning her without getting her wet
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Can/did you dry her well after her baths? Bunny fur can take a long time to dry and wet fur can attract flys. Maybe if you still give her baths you could keep her inside at least untill she is dry. Or if she'll let you, dry her with a hair drier on the lowest setting so it's not to hot for her.

But my concern would be that if she's not cleaning herself, even without baths the pee and feces stuck to her fur will also attract flys. So you do need to find a way to keep her clean.

I would try the dry baths I mentioned above or call the vet and ask what the vet suggests you do.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

hi
i tried dry bathing and that seem to work well(thanks for that)
i will keep up with that. thanks again everyone