Help! Foster Bun Pregnant - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Help! Foster Bun Pregnant

I just got my first foster bun last week and last night she started making a nest. I can't find anything on the house rabbit site about the signs she is about to give birth. She was chasing her tail this morning like she was in pain. It figures....1st foster and she would be pregnant. Anyone want a bunny? I am about to have several.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 03:17 PM

Breathe, don't worry and let the mom do the work. Does she have some hay to make a nest of? Some female rabbits make nests even when they are not pregnant. Some even pull fur when they are not pregnant. If you haven't already, I would find a box that she can jump into and comfortably fit into, fill it with hay and place it into her cage. It may help if she is in a quieter part of the house for a while too. A lot of activity can make some does anxious. Otherwise, it's pretty much just wait and see unless you can find a rabbit breeder in your area that is experienced at palpation and willing to check the doe. If she starts pulling fur from her chest & belly, that is a pretty good sign that she is getting close. Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything else.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh dear. Maybe she's not. Keep us posted.
Baby bunnies are really cute!

I am sure you won't have any problems finding homes. They really are irresitable when they are that tiny. I wish I were closer. I would steal them all!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Did you try House Rabbits - Behavior, Care, Rescue, Adoption, Education | House Rabbit Society ? At the bottom of the page, look for "newborn babbies" and click it on.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Breeders like to hang out at: Rabbit Web Discussion Board. I am sure they will help you with any questions you may have that most of us who do not breed have little knowledge of.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 06:04 PM

Just be sure not to give any bunnies away around Easter. Thats when everyone thinks its "so cute" to own a baby bunny. Then a couple months later they are dumped at the shelter.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 08:04 PM

Carole - I was worried when Eloise showed these signs - how on earth would I look after these creatures?!?...but Heather is right - mumma bun knew what to do - she was amazing and now we have a happy family of buns! I'm sure your doe will be fine. It's so exciting to wake up and find a bundle of babies in the nest - I could hardly contain myself!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 PM

It should be pretty safe for them not to be easter bunnies. Even if they were born today, they should stay with mom for at least 7-8 weeks. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

It may be a false alarm. The nest isn't completed although she is pulling hair. Yesterday she acted like she was trying to mate. I had given her a stuffed rabbit Sat. night and Sunday there was a nest. I took the stuffed rabbit out Sunday and she started circling me. I talked to the lady at the rabbit rescue Sunday night and she said she had never had a pregnant female act like that. When I put the suff bunny back in she went to town on it. Hopefully it is just hormones. We will see in the next couple of days I guess.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 08:45 AM

They do act a little goofy sometimes, don't they. She obviously really likes the stuffed rabbit, lol. Let us know what happens.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

No bunnies yet. She is going to the vet Monday. I took the stuffed rabbit out of her cage and she went nuts. Then I put it back and she had her way with it again. She also hid her toys in the nest. I guess she is playing mommy.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 11:07 AM

My doe isnt neutured yet and she is very, very hormonal. She mounts Dexter and started nesting too a few months ago. She also pulled lots of out but she wasn't pregnant, she may even be having a phantom pregnancy.

I hope she is ok. I think it's great you fostering them, im sure she couldnt be in better hands!!

Good luck!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 11:15 AM

good luck, maybe it's just a false alarm
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 10:36 AM

My bunny has made a couple of nests and gets really grumpy when we go anywhere near her when she has made one (I'm saying she, the people we bought bunny off said she was a he, but we're now not so sure) and just have to leave her to come out on her own. She hasn't been with another bunny since before we got her when they were born so there's every chance it's just a phantom. xxx

Tags
baby bunnies, baby bunny, house rabbit, house rabbit society, house rabbits, rabbit society