HELP! Kit has mucoid enteritis - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

HELP! Kit has mucoid enteritis

We have a kit that is showing the signs of mucoid enteritis. Jelly, mucous colored droppings. I havent been able to find much in terms of a remedy for this.

Two or three factors at work here.

1. we need to get nutrients into the kit. I know many people recommend nutrical, however about the closest thin we have at tractor supply by us is called nutri-drench for sheep, would this be ok?

2. We need to relieve the stomach of the gas and acids. I have seen recommended simethicone drops. Would small amounts of Maloxx be ok for that. Treating symptons here but not the cause.

3. We need now treat the cause. Biosol seems to be a could recommendation, again nothing like this at our local tractor supply. They do however have a water soluable terramycin solution for treating scours in pigs. Would this work to relieve the stomach of some of the bacteria causing the problem?

Obviously we have taken pellets away from this kit for the moment, she is completely on a grass hay.

This is our first experience with this so your help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd skip the Maalox and go with simethicone instead. Maalox contains other ingredients while simethicone is very safe and directed towards gas only. You can get it at any drugstore.

I would want the kit on Critical Care. Nutri-Cal and the like contain way too many animal proteins and oils and most exotic vets don't recommend it for rabbits, etc. Critical Care is specifically geared towards herbivores. You'll need to see a rabbit savvy vet for this, however, as it isn't available to the public. http://oxbowhay.com/link.sp?page=CriticalCare

I'd really recommend taking her into a veterinarian if you've not dealt with this before.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
exotic vet, grass hay, rabbit savvy vet