Help! My bunny wont eat! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Help! My bunny wont eat!

My rabbit won't eat his pellets. He devours his hay and vegetables and his occational piece of fruit, but he just won't eat his pellets.

Should I cut off his vegetables and then he might be hungry for his pellets??

I don't know what to do!

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

hmmmm....my bunnies go NUTS for their pellets....maybe try a different brand?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

What brand of pellets are you feeding, how often, and how much?

Did he use to eat them and then stopped, or has he never really liked them?

I wouldn't panic too much as long as he's eating plenty of hay and his veggies. I don't even feed my rabbits pellets at all - just unlimited hay, and fresh greens/veggies once a day. I tried to introduce pellets to them once, and they refused to eat them, I don't think they think pellets are too good combared to their fresh hay and salads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok. if I dont feed him pellets, how much vegy's should i feed him? unlimited hay is no problem, but what about vegys? if he's not getting his pellets, shouldn't be getting more of something else? also, if you could please list any brand of food that you feed your rabbit. I'm willing to try anything!!

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Oxbow timathy hay pellets is a good brand if you haven't tried that yet.

The magority of rabbits diets should be hay.

If feeding pellets, you should feed a good brand that is low in calcium and high in fiber. It should be a plain pellet, with no nuts or fruits or anything like that in it. And don't feed to much.

If you decide not to feed pellets, you shouldn't really have to increase anything else your feeding. I would feed the same amount of greens/veggies, and plenty of hay! Too much greens/veggies might upset their tummys, and most of their diet should be hay anyways - so instead of eating pellets he'll probably just eat more hay.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I had PMed you with quite a bit of info .

I'm glad he's eating some things, though.

I would get his teeth checked by a vet...his back teeth may need filing. When something is wrong with their teeth rabbits often will start refusing hard foods like pellets since those are painful to eat.

But it could also be that the pellets are stale or something. If it was me I'd take him in just to be sure, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Great! I found an Oxbow store thats only like 2 miles away from my house! I didn't even know it existed! I'm going there today and hopefully he likes those pellets. My mom said she will pay for the vet check up so I'm going to schedule one soon. I just have to find a good vet first!

-George Eliot

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

The house rabbit society has a list of bunny savvy vets in different areas. I LOVE my bunny vet and he was recommened by a woman from the house rabbit society.
I think the site is House Rabbits - Behavior, Care, Rescue, Adoption, Education | House Rabbit Society but if you google house rabbit society I am sure it will come up.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpersMommy View Post
Great! I found an Oxbow store thats only like 2 miles away from my house! I didn't even know it existed! I'm going there today and hopefully he likes those pellets. My mom said she will pay for the vet check up so I'm going to schedule one soon. I just have to find a good vet first!
That's great . He might not eat the pellets at first but keep trying. Mix them in with his old ones and don't feed the colored bits of the SunSeed mix.

I hope it's just a case of him not liking the pellets and nothing serious . But even if it is tooth problems that's one of the easier issues to fix.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok. its all good now. it was just the pellets!!

i filled his purple bowl up and when i came home from school half was gone. he really likes those Oxbow pellets! :]

-George Eliot

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's great to hear!!!

~Stephanie

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

That's awesome! Oxbow pellets are one of the best brands of pellets you can get so that's awesome that he likes them too!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 AM

I am sorry,but disagree

I am a breeder of English Angoreas, I have been doing this for 4 yrs., My vet says my babies are very healthy. The main food for bunnies should be pellets. W/ Hay being avalable at of times. Herbs can be giving daily as well(5 different herbs as a salad)mine love mint. Vegetables should only be a treat and same w/ fruits giving them once a week or less. They will make your baby very fat. Pellets are made up of alfa hay(sorry for spelling)and many other grains and minerals. Black Oil sunflower seeds and oats are great for rabbits coats, I mix them w/ pellets(50 pounds of pellets,2 boxes of quackers, 1 pound sunflower seeeds). Also lots of breeders add sweet feed to their pellets. I have won 16 best of breed and 3 best in show w/ my babies. We have had no sicknesses in more then 3 and half yrs. And this not just my way of feeding every serious breeders does the same.I hope that I have not offended anyone but I couldn't leave this subject alone. I am not a vet but I would hate you to take bad advise. That will surely kill your baby bunny. You should also search the net for breeders food of chose and I bet you get get the same answer. Hope this is helful.....Tara

Tags
baby bunny, house rabbit, house rabbit society, house rabbits, rabbit society, seed mix, sunflower seeds