HELP! my bunny won't poop or pee- but is still eating / drinking?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy HELP! my bunny won't poop or pee- but is still eating / drinking??

I am new to these forums , but my bunny is having issues!
Please help!

I just adopted a rabbit, 2 days ago, named Sho'Nuff (Sho).
He is a 4yr old, adorable black rabbit. (some kind of Dwarf rabbit?)
& today he has not pooped or peed! but he is still eating his pellets, veggies, and drinking water! But seems to be ignoring his hay?

He's always been an indoor, free-roaming apartment rabbit. and he is with me as well. so I understand he may have problems adjusting. He has free roam and as well, 3 boxes to play in (with fluffing, hay, t-shirts, and newspaper in all of them). Last night, he started coming out to play, sniffing me, standing up on his back legs, laying on the floor and watching movies even.

Saturday and Sunday seemed normal:
-drinking water from a medium sized ceramic bowl
-regular eating hay (unlimited Fruit Boost Timothy Hay) the same thing he had at his last home
-ate all his pellets (about 1/4 cup of Nutriphase) the same thing he had at his last home
-eating cilantro & carrots, also the same thing he was given at his last home

The only changes are, I have given him celery (chopped up, no stringys) and radishes with his veggies- which he does not eat anyway.

I left last night to go to work (since I work a night shift) the first night I had left him alone. and before i left I cleaned out his litter box. I usually have it lined with newspaper / phone book paper, and about an inch or two of shreded newspaper, with hay to the side, and scatered lightly across it.

This morning when I came home, there was some poop, and slight pee (less than yesterday). I read somewhere that you should change the litter everyday? I do not know if that is accurate. but i changed it anyway. However, this time I put in Carefresh ALONG with the newspaper/phonebook lining, and shredded newspaper, and hay. I read also that stuff is odor absorbing (not as much as Yesterday's News~ but the store was out of that).

Sho has been eating all his pellets, and drinking water, he has eaten his cilantro and chewed up his carrots. But i have not seen him eat any hay today, and he keeps hopping into his litter box but there is no poop or pee when he does!?

PLEASE HELP! if you think he needs to go to the vet, if he might have a fur ball? or a backed up system (GI) please say so!

I do not know of any vets, or where to go, or how much it costs. so any help on that would be wonderful too!

Thanks all~

NOTE: he did snack on quite a few dried Banana Chips yesterday as treats for coming out of his box. He was very shy and it seemed to make him warm up and become very comfortable.

Last edited by ajlyche; 05-16-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

welcome to paw talk! It's a good sign that he is still eating and drinking, and i assume still acting normal. I once had a scare with my rabbit when he wasn't pooping or peeing, and he seemed pretty down and not himself. I would just look up a rabbit vet or vet and give them a call. Mine told me to give him a bit of apple soaked in water to keep him hydrated and give him a little something sweet. I dont know if that helped but he acted better after that.

I also learned by members of this site that pineapple and papaya help the bowels to start or keep moving and when Benji is shedding a lot i give him some papaya and that always seems to help.

Hopefully your bun gets better soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I checked his litter box last night, and he did use it. but significantly less than he did on Saturday and Sunday! also today he has hardly used it. i think maybe he doesnt like the new litter? (i got carefresh) and was using shredded newspaper before. I'm going to change it here in a few minutes and see if it makes a difference at all. he is a very picky bun i've noticed so i'm hoping it's just that and nothing serious!

i will try the apple soaked in water & probably try to pineapple juice just to make sure! he is my sweet little adoptive bun, and he's already like a son to me! I want to make extra sure he's healthy, and happy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
poop problems