Help! My two baby bunnies aren't getting along now! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Help! My two baby bunnies aren't getting along now!

About a month ago, I bought two baby bunnies from a pet store, both had been together with a bunch of other baby bunnies, all in the same pen. Well now all of a sudden, the one keeps chasing the other. The first time it happened I was in the next room at the time, heard a bunch of frantic sounding scurrying and then as I was walking in to investigate, the one being chased screamed. There were tufts of fur of the one being chased all over. I kept my eye on them after that and they didn't seem to do it as long as I was around, this happened yesterday. Last night when I had them out, same thing, one kept chasing the other but it didn't get out of hand as long as I was present. Well now this morning, I was awoken by the one chasing the other in their cage, once again I found tufts of fur from the one being chased. I opened the cage door and the one being chased practically flew out into my arms. So now I have them separated, problem is, I don't have a second living space so one of them is just in a cat carrier and I have no way to give it water (without it spilling it and making the whole floor a soggy mess). I'm afraid to put them back in the same cage again for fear of it happening again especially since I can't be there 24/7 to watch them. Any advice? BTW as best I can tell, they are both females, if that makes any difference. Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 10:54 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Do not put them back in the same cage together!!! It could lead to terrible injuries. You need to get another cage or find a new home for one of the bunnies. When they are about 5 months old you can get them fixed and then maybe you will be able to rebond them and they may be able to go in the same cage together. But, that is a big maybe, even after being fixed some rabbits still need their own space.

If the pet store told you two rabbits would be fine together I would also go chew them out! You might even get a cheap cage out of it
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, just wanted to get some second opinions to be sure. Darn, guess I just got lucky before, when I had two males and they got along just fine.

The pet store never said anything about them getting along. I had just picked these two out of the bunch that was together in the same pen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 05:22 PM

Red face

Sorry you are having problems with your bunnies..
I got my 2 female bunnies at the same time from a pet shop.. For the first year they were ok, and then they had a massive fight one day.. Ambers ear was bitten and I had to take her to the vets, as it was quite bad.. Jasmine also got a bitten ear, so now both have little nips out of them..
I separated them and Amber came to live indoors for a while.. We still let them see each other but only when supervised.. We then had them both spayed, and kept them separated for a while afterwards.. Gradually they spent more time together, until Amber went back to live with Jasmine..
They now get on fantastic, and I even have 2 more additions.. 2 little boys who will both eventually be neutered..
All I can suggest is that you do the same as I did, and get them both spayed.. I do think you need to get a bigger place for the other bunny to live in and maybe swap them around so they get used to each others scent.. It is also a better thing to get them spayed as female bunnies who do not have babies run a high risk of getting cancer of the uterus and ovaries.. It also makes for a far happier pet, no raging hormones buzzing around..
Tell us how you get on.. Good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was planning on putting one of them outside in the hutch my husband is fixing up. Sounds like a good idea, perhaps I'll just keep swapping them back and forth, keep one outside for a while then switch them. I will have to wait until they get old enough to have them spayed. Thanks for the advice and sharing your story. I thought it was really odd that they've been getting along all this time and then all of sudden one is chasing the other, nice to hear someone else has experienced something very similar. It's almost like a love/hate relationship because they'll be just fine for quite a while then the chasing will start. They've been snuggling together since I put them back together after this morning's incident. At this point I'm only gonna leave them together while I'm around to supervise since I don't want to take a chance on one or both getting injured if they should happen to get in a fight while I'm not around. Hubby should be able to finish the hutch tomorrow so I can then separate them and both will have adequate space, food, and water.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 10:17 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

I don't know what the weather is like in NC, but summer is coming and it before we know it it will be getting really hot. If it is hot outside and you have AC running inside I wouldn't advise swapping them in and out, in and out, because the change in temperatures can make them sick.

Spring and autumn are usually ok, to have a rabbit going in and out, but I wouldn't do it in the summer or winter where the inside and outside temperature can usually vary quite a bit.

So anyway it depends on your weather.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Well, so far I haven't put either one of them outside. There hasn't been a problem since Friday morning's episode (fingers crossed). So for now I'm just keeping an eye on them to see how it goes, hoping I'm not gonna have to separate them at all.

Tags
baby bunnies, pet shop, pet store