Help! New bunny with previous poor diet - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Help! New bunny with previous poor diet

I recently took in a rather neglected bunny who's diet was that of unlimited carrots, pellets, and some crappy mix purchased from a local pet store which included peanuts, seeds and color dyes. I've now got him home and just gave him some hay, which i dont know if he's had before or not. I dont know how his tiny digestive system is doing since he hasnt had hay and i dont know how to safely get him to lose weight. He seems to also have a lot of bordom habits (chewing a a certain spot on his coat, tossing his ceramic food dish around) help me please kind paw talkers!

marmalade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Rodentologist

Go ahead and schedule a vet checkup. This rabbit likely has serious dental problems from lack of fiber in his diet. Getting an overall check up is a good idea anyway.

Switch his pellets slowly and be firm. Leave out lots of hay, and mix in carrot shreds or other vegetables to get him munching. Feeding him an appropriate diet with lots of time outside his cage will help him lose weight naturally.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Jennicat pretty much suggested everything I would have.

New toys and plenty of play time outside his cage should help with both his weight and his bordem.

I don't know if you have any other rabbits, but keep him away from them for awhile untill you know he's completly healthy.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks a lot. I do have another bunny (henry) and i dont want him to catch anything just in case..but is it okay do you suppose if they are on the same floor like a room apart, with no other contact?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

I would think it would be okay to keep them in seperate rooms. Just make sure to wash your hands after you touch one of them and that each bunny has his own supplies for now.

But yeah, you should schdule a vet check up for him and I would quarantine him for awhile before you let him interact with your other rabbit.

Did you give the new guy a name yet??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

yes..its kind of a silly name but his name is Duey.. =] I'm for sure going to take him to the vet, he's already neutered so thats a bonus. sometimes when he breathes it sounds kind of funny.. maybe because of his previous cage conditions? He was kept in a large plastic dog carrier with "yesterdays news" as bedding. When they dumped him off at my house his food bowl was just full of cocktail carrots. poor guy. I dont know if he'd ever want to see another carrot again. I'm not sure about using "yesterdays news" as bedding, so im not being critical of anyone who does but it doesnt seem like the coziest or paw friendliest option.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

I use yesterdays news only in my rabbit's litter box, but not throughout the whole cage.

For the rest of the cage, I just leave the floor bare (not wire), and give Barnaby a dog bed and fleece blankets to lay on.

Duey is a cute name

Tags
bunny, diet