HELP!!! Pattern baldness forming on my carpet! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation HELP!!! Pattern baldness forming on my carpet!

Help, my female bun keeps eating the carpet and won't quit! My male bun never chews the carpet. Why is she doing this? She has tons of toys and a companion. We do allow both the buns free reign of the living room. She has also taken to eating the bottoms of the curtains. However, that is not a major concern since they are easily replaced. I have tried all the sprays out there to stop her. Have also tried chili powder & cayenne pepper. She seems to enjoy those! Have even resorted to spraying nail polish remover and anything else we could think of that might keep her from eating the floor. Any thoughts would be great because it is getting to the point that we will have to surrender her back to the humane society we adopted her from 2 yrs ago. This carpet habit has only become a real nuisance in the last year. She has also eaten holes in the sofa and pulled the stuffing out. As far as I know she has never bred and she is altered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hi,
Please don't do anything that will poison your bun. It is not enought to try to discourage your bun from chewing the carpet, you need to give her something that will be more appealing to chew. Try putting boxes of hay in places where she likes to chew. Timothy is the best and alfalfa the worst but if price is an issue, check with the Farm and Garden stores near you. I live in the Mpls area and hay is less than $5 a bale. Store where mice won't get into it or you can transfer flees to your buns. Tree branches are better for chewing than toys. Unsprayed Apple and Willow are best but other branches work as well. My buns also like Lilac branches, 1 inch diameter or less. I cut branches around 1ft lenghth, wash like fruit and I bag them and put them in my freezer to keep them fresh. They chew off the bark and play with the sticks. Some trees are not safe for chewing so check it out if you use something different. I hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 11:38 AM

Cant you make a run for it outside instead of getting rid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Outdoor rabbits

This rabbit lives in the state of Minnesota where it still gets below freezing this time of year. She would have to wait until summer to put her rabbit outside. The House Rabbit Society is very big in the U.S. and many shelters will not adopt rabbits to people who keep rabbits outside because they think of it as a bad idea. They tell many stories about bad things that can happen to rabbits that live outside and there is little information about the best ways to keep outdoor rabbits. I too live in Minnesota and I keep my rabbits outside but I know how to do it so my rabbits will be happy. I think too many rabbits that don't make good house pets end up homeless in the U.S.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 03:55 PM

Strange...
Who ever thought of a stray rabbit?
In Sweden it is about -20 but the people across the road have outdoor rabbits.
We know someone who has an indoor rabbit and it chews the wire. I would be scared it would get electrocuted.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 02:24 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I heard that most stray rabbits get killed by other animals or get picked up by people and taken to shelters so their aren't many around. I also heard that in Australia, stray rabbits is a big problem and it is against the law to even own a rabbit because they do so much damage to crops.

Now back to Bunniemagyk's problem. The way that rabbit is destroying the sofa, it sounds like her instincts to dig have really kicked in. I am not an authority on rabbits but I have heard that this happens more in females than males. I have one of each also and my female is the digger. At building supply stores, they sell cardboard tubes that are used for pouring cement. I don't remember what they are called. They make nice tunnels for rabbits to play in and maybe that might help with the rabbit's need to tunnel.

I wish some house rabbit people would jump in and come up with some suggestions. I would sure like to know how they would handle this one!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 01:23 PM

The best way that I have found to keep our bunny from tearing up the carpet was to buy some golf club boxes at the local shipping store. Then place them behind the sofa, and WOW! Our bunny LOVES IT! He can tear the box up and loves to dig in there, plus we added smaller boxes inside the tubes, and he just goes to town.I can take some pictures of what we have done if that helps. But check out the shipping boxes- called "golf club boxes" also you can search the web- I used U-Line- they can ship millions of them if you like.
We finally found something to keep the rabbitt HAPPY! BTW, it has pretty much cured the carpet eating.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:49 PM

Lola used to chew my rugs and carpet all the time, and before I tried to spray anything on the carpet (I have really bad allergies and didn't want to try anything) I just smack the floor with my hand (about 2 feet from her so she wouldn't accidently get hit) so it mad a big noise and she would stop and go find something else to do. After about 1 week of this she stopped. I don't know if it will work for you, but just the noise stopped lola from chewing the carpet, but not her toys. Just an idea.

Tags
house rabbit, house rabbit society, humane society, rabbit society