Help PLZ!!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Help PLZ!!!!!!

My rabbit is tilting his head to one side all the time and never moves it. I don't know whats wrong or what i should do ! He eats fine he drinks fine but his head is always tilted to one side! plz help ! What do u think is wrong with him and what should i do about it???? (i have the book rabbits for dummies and it says he has head tilt or (torticollis)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

It sounds like head tilt. Its caused by a bacteria, and he needs to be treated with antibiotics. You need to get him to a vet asap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

how much would it cost to take him to the vet???? and which antibiotic???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I just wanted to add that not all vets have experience with rabbits, so you need to make sure that you take him to a rabbit/exotic vet. Head tilt isn't always curable but it can be treated so please take your bun in asap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

That's going to depend on the veterinarian. Different vets charge different prices. You'll need to discuss the anti-biotic with your veterinarian, as none of us can legally recommend medications or dosages.

Do make sure your vet stays away from any anti-biotics in these categories, though:
Penicillin
Lincomycin
Ampicillin, Amoxicillin (or Clavamox)
Cephalosporins, Clindamycin
Erythromycin

Stephanie

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I don't have the money to send a rabbit to a vet!!! Will he be ok untill i save the money!!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Maybe you should've thought about that before taking in an animal who depends upon you for care, which includes veterinary care.

Stephanie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

well i bred the rabbit and i didn't know there was any such thing so ill i can do is help him myself . i have had about 30 rabbits in 2 years and i have never needed a vet!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I don't mean to be rude, but why would you breed an animal when you didn't know an illness that is obviously so well-known existed? More so, why would you breed when you don't have money in the event of a health issue or (God forbid) a c-section?

Stephanie

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

maybe i should have been more prepared but its to late for that i have 5 other baby rabbits bulling him around so i took him inside with me and gave him food and water im trying my best to get him to a vet!!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

well i have read every thing i can find on rabbit breeding i saw no such thing as head tilt. its not easy to know like diarreah or sumtin! ill call a vet on monday cause all the vet offices r closed today! do u think its better to leave him in wit me or take it back out side!!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-8/head-tilt.html
http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-d...alth/sick.html

Stephanie

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Newborn Pup

i have a bunny with a head tilt myself. he's just a little guy too (less than a year old). he has pasturella. while it's not always fatal, it is treatable, however not curable. i took my sammy to the vet when i started noticing a slight tilt, and they prescribed him baytril. it's not very expensive at all. we had him on it for about a month and a half. he still has a head tilt, but he is a very happy bunny, and is still very active. this disease progresses very quickly, and he did almost die. my vet told me that since the disease can cause absesses, he may have had one in his inner ear. thus, giving him the tilt. we had sammy on orapred. the oral version of prednisone, which is a steriod that brings down inflammation. your local pharmacy will carry it, however it is by prescription. this helped him the most with the head tilt. you bunny may always have a head tilt, but as long as he/she is eating and happy, it's well worth the time, money, and effort. good luck! *^_^*
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Newborn Pup

the disease your bunny may have moves at a very rapid pace. he/she could get deathly ill in a few days. it cost me no more than $50 when i took my bunny in for that same problem. i'm being very serious. this isn't something you want to put off if you want your bun to live.

Tags
exotic vet, veterinary care