HELP! poorly bunny - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy HELP! poorly bunny

Hi, my bunny is 16 months old and is normally very active and friendly. He is outside in a 2 story hutch and normally stays up the top despite his bed box and the entire bottom part being full of thick straw. Today I noticed that he was sleeping a bit more than normal and was laying right down,sometimes on his back, even though it is cold. He is also sleeping in his straw today.
I have been keeping a close eye on him and he is just not his normal self, his eyes are usually half closed and he isn't moving as much as normal and hasn't eaten much.

There are several things that could have made him ill as I have been away and left him with my neighbour who may have given him slightly different food etc. I did get him back yesterday though and he seemed fine then. I know that she was giving him about half a carrot a day where as I only give him a little fruit/ veg every few days (but he does eat grass when he is out for a run around). His cover blew open in the night before I got him back so his hay and sawdust did get wet, but I cleaned him out as soon as I got him back so this shouldn't have affected him.

I put him in the kitchen earlier to keep an eye on him, but didn't want to keep him in because of it being so cold when he had to go back out. He has plenty of straw, a heat pad and a cover. He isn't sneezing and doesn't have any discharge from his eyes or nose.

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what this might be or what else I can do.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:56 PM

I would advise you to get your rabbit to the vet ASAP. Rabbits hide illnesses well, and when they show they are not feeling well, then they are really not feeling well.
You should give your rabbit at least one cup of leafy greens a day, and leave fruits for occasional treats. Fruits have a lot of sugar in them and are not as beneficial for a rabbit like veggies.
Bringing your rabbit in was probably good to do. But you can't keep switching your rabbit from in to out; the temperature difference is much too great and it's not so good for your rabbit. Either the rabbit stays in, or it stays out. Rabbits handle the cold much better than the heat, so a heating pad might also stress the rabbit out much more. Rabbits prefer temps to be around 60 degrees Fahrenheit, so a heating pad would make it much too warm!
I do hope your rabbit gets better! Keep us updated!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Like Natalie said, please get the bunny to a vet asap.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 02:41 PM

Get her/him to the vet, it sounds quite serious
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the advice. I keep checking on him, but it's hard to tell what he's like because he's normally a bit sleepy now anyway and he is so used to me being around that he doesn't move much when I go out to him.

It wasn't until after the vets closing time that I was concerned about him so I can't get him there now, it is also a bank holiday weekend so I won't be able to get him in as quickly as I would like. Any suggestions as to what I could do in the mean time, he still hasn't eaten today.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 08:10 PM

You better find an emergency vet ASAP.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 03:16 PM

How is he today? I hope you get to see a vet ASAP?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 05:44 PM

is he going to the bathroom regularly? this is important. if he is not eating it could be his back teeth are jagged and growing wrong, or it could be an intestinal problem, which can be very common and very fatal if a rabbit's diet isn't just right. my rabbit has experenced both of these problems and she is only a year. first it was her teeth, then her diet. she is doing very well now, but needed veterinary care and medicines. I did have to rush her to an emergency vet, and i would really try and do this if possible for you to find an emergency vet that sees rabbits. For now - i would give him lots of hay. that will be very important for him.

i hope he is doing alright today- and i wish you the nest of luck in finding a vet asap.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 04:06 PM

how is your bunny? any updates? is he eating yet?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Any updates? Did you find a vet?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
emergency vet, heating pad, veterinary care