help!!problem with teeth!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

help!!problem with teeth!!

my bunny broke his teeth -the in front four (up and down)-
and they now grow with diffrent possitions and the down pair of teeth,grow wrong.like a bucket face,the down teeth are now infront of the up pair and they arent in touch so that he can sharpen them.what can i do?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Take him to a rabbit experienced veterinarian.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:08 PM

Sounds like your rabbit has developed malocausion (I don't know if that's spelt right.. just going off the top of my head, LOL). I agree, take him to the vet. Serious problem can occur if the teeth are not reguarly clipped by a vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

can a vet clip regular my rabbits teeth without anesthetic?because we tryed that and he woudn't stand still.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 04:40 PM

Hope bunny is ok? I have a bunny who occasionally has to get her teeth trimmed, and that is always done under anaesthetic..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:44 PM

well i don't know if this will help but i have to bring one of my rabbits in every 6 months to get her back teeth ground down because they get abnormally jagged for some reason and she can't eat when they grow like that.

and they ground her teeth down without anesthesia and somehow knew how to keep her still, so i bet that if you bring your rabbit to a vet experienced with rabbits they will be able to clip/grind her front teeth for you. or at least i hope so anyway
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

general anesthesia isin't bad if its been done regulary for the rabbit?
we clipped my bunny's teeth a week ago and they started growing so soon!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:44 PM

Okay, Your rabbit has buck teeth and malocausion, (don't know if I spell word right). Try to trim them. Your rabbit doesn't sound like the worse rabbit I've seen in my Rabbitry experients. I had a mini lop. Wasn't showable and had buck teeth that grew longer everyday. One day I found his teeth were cutting into his gums, so I got my dad and made him clip his two bottom and top teeth. Ever since then I've been really careful about the rabbits teeth. You should probably check his teeth every other day. Also try not to spend all your money on getting your rabbits teeth cliped if there not like curving and that you can't cut them. Because it costs a lot of money. I went in once just for a check up, got some cream/ lotion and got the rabbits ear shaved and it costed $200 bucks. but I found the easiest way when you got 19 rabbits, 2 cats, 2 dogs, 1 horse and a few fish is to have the equine vet who is also a small animal vet to check on the animal.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

the rabbits teeth are unfortunatelly curving but i haven't tried to clipp them myself.although i have the immpresion that he will not stand still and the teeth grow very much in less than a week
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 07:24 PM

Have you ever shown rabbits? I would recommend if you don't think he will stay still is to take him by the ears and get a big chunk of his fur and then while your holding him by his ears get his back (near hindquarters), make sure your palm of hand is on back of rabbit and is kind of curved. WHile you are holding him, make sure you have a strond person, that can clip his front teeth, kind of quick but also careful and responsable. You might want one person, like u, the owner holding rabbit, then another person clipping teeth and another person just in case if something happens and you need extra help.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

my rabbit didn't have a problem geneticaly with the teeth,he fall down a wood and broke them,and since then they teeth tend to grow in diffrent directions.isn't there another solution for this problem?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:23 PM

My only other suggestion is to take rabbit to a breeder or the vet. But if u go to vet make sure u have the money, first. IT will probably cost between $50 - $100.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 10:22 AM

The rabbit has probaly developed buck, or wolf teeth, Use wire cutters to cut them every week. You may need someone to help you hold him, and buy a wood chew for the rabbit to chew.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

a question!! since there will be always problem with the front teeth,what will happen if we pull out these teeth from the rout?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 07:04 PM

Why would you want to do that, plus you would have to bring you rabbit to the vet and it would ad up fast, plus it would be hard to eat/drink hay and water.

Tags
mini lop