help! rabbit bleeding from the mouth! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question help! rabbit bleeding from the mouth!

my 6 year old rabbit is bleeding a bit from the mouth and is acting a little strange. he is not eating or drinking but is still licking me. could it be his teeth are too sharp and are hurting him? please help, it is boxing day so i cannot take him to the vets.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have an emergency vet? You should be able to find an emergency vet even on a holiday.

Not eating or drinking and bleeding from the mouth sound like pretty serious symptoms to me. Especially in a rabbit, they can die of GI problems after only a short time without eating.

Please get him into a vet ASAP. I hope he's okay.

Good luck and keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks for your advice, he's not bleeding anymore but is getting irritated, its only been since this afternoon he has not been eating and he finds it easier to drink from his bowl, thanks very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudia View Post
thanks for your advice, he's not bleeding anymore but is getting irritated, its only been since this afternoon he has not been eating and he finds it easier to drink from his bowl, thanks very much
even thou the bleeding has stopped a vet asap is the best advice as dragonrain advised. your poor little one could be in pain and hiding it very well.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

we taking him tommorow, thx
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Not eating is really, really bad for rabbits...an empty stomach can cause all sorts of gastrointestinal problems. And the fact that he's acting irritated isn't a good sign...rabbits try their best to hide pain so any signs that they're in pain need to be seen as emergencies. I'd call the emergency vet asap and try to get him eating.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudia View Post
we taking him tommorow, thx
Not eating is concerned an emergency for rabbits and not something that can wait until morning . I don't mean to scare you but rabbits go downhill fast.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Betta Bomb

I hope everything goes okay. But if he doesn't eat for a number of hours you may have a worse problem on your hands.. Try to get him to eat and drink at least until you can take him in. But I would treat this as an emergency-
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

we just took him to the vets, he has a ulcer in his mouth, he ate a bit too but it looked painful for him, it should be sorted out. thanks so much guys, I'll keep you updated on how Leo turns out
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Betta Bomb

What did the vet prescribe for the pain so he'll eat more?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

they gave him some painkillers,antibiotics and some food we have to mix with water and feed to him with a syringe, but the plus side is he is not bleeding any-more, but the vet want to see him again tomorrow
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Betta Bomb

Things like this can get out of hand quickly, that's why the vet wants to check again. How is he taking the meds?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

through a syringe, he went in again today and his teeth caused the ulcer and he has to have an op tomorrow to have them filed down. this is the 2nd time he has had the op but he took it pretty well
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh sorry, I meant how he is taking it, like is he fussy about syringe feeding? Does he panic or freak out or refuse it? When Acacia was healing from her cheek surgery she spit out her medicine a couple times!! Some bunnies are fussy little things!
For the operation, it is imperative that you do not fast him!! Bunnies cannot vomit and therefore fasting is not necessary, in fact it could be harmful. Good luck at the operation! What exactly is he having done? Tooth filing or explorative to see if the tooth needs to be removed?

Tags
help quick, rabbits