Help! - rescued bun cover with oil! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Help! - rescued bun cover with oil!

I just rescued a bunny in my neighbours yard (I live in farm town), looks like some a$$ hat let the poor thing go to 'fend for it's self". Anyways i have her/him now and she has car oil over her back! (So do i lol).
I need help with how to remove this?

I cannot believe I caught this bun on my own LOL... I was just doing a rabbit rescue Saturday, i though i was done for a while!
Here are a few pictures of the poor thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Aww! What a sweetie.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww . Good job rescuing her .

Maybe you could call the vet? They might know a way to get the oil off.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

AWWW
good job! and congratulatoins.
yeah id call the vet too.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I actually just called a local Rabbit Vet, Iwas just given the #.
She said I can bath her with dish soap, but I have to dry her off, and blow dry her so she won't catch a chill.

She also explained how to sex... I'm goign to practice with my one lop, and get an idea of that a male bunny looks like before trying.

I also called the SPCA and just left a message that i found a bunny, and if anyone is missing one.

She/he is starting to move around now. I just hope this bath doesn't stress her/him to much.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Curmudgeon

We used Dawn dishwashing detergent to remove oil from oil-soaked seabirds. It's really the best. Use body temp water, then rinse liberally. ...then rinse again. I'd dry with a large towel, then a hair dryer.

As you well know, stress is the killer of baby bunnies. I'd hydrate the bunny first, then afterwards as well. Keep them in a warm, quiet, dark place for a good while after all the stress of the washing, to allow their vitals to return to normal.

After that, I'd re-release. Our rule of thumb was:

"If it's as big as your fist, and the ears are up, then it's time for it to be on it's own."

Good Luck..
bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
After that, I'd re-release. Our rule of thumb was:

"If it's as big as your fist, and the ears are up, then it's time for it to be on it's own.
This is a domestic rabbit someone has dumped (or lost). Not a wild hare. If I was to let it back out in the wilds here it will be killed by preditors.
Releasing it is not an option.

But thank you for the other advise, I have talked to a local vet and once she's drinking I will bath her.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Part of the Pack

he/she's absolutely adorable!!! what a lucky little bunny to have found you! i wonder, will you keep him/her? she's so cute!!!

2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
This is a domestic rabbit someone has dumped (or lost). Not a wild hare. If I was to let it back out in the wilds here it will be killed by preditors.
Releasing it is not an option.

But thank you for the other advise, I have talked to a local vet and once she's drinking I will bath her.
Sorry, I misunderstood. Be sure to check and make sure that the petroleum did not get in the face, eyes, ears or nose. This could cause undetected damage that might cause blindness or pneumonia if left untreated.

That should make your job easier. Stress shouldn't be as much of a factor.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Adolescent Pup

if not dish washing liquid you can use baby bubble bath or baby shampoo just as well..and damp the fur affected with warm water and then really massage and froth up the fur..wipe it with damp clothes and repeat as many times as it takes...
tip....rinse using a tap shower spray ir helps rinse quicker and better..and helps remove the oil too or move the fur so you can see more of where it is..

after wrap her in a warm towel and cuddle for as long as poss..your body heat and the snugness helps with stress a lot and of course towle dry and use hair dryer if at all possible..keep somewhere warm and dry and good luck..well done you!

Looks like shes a real sweetie..awww.

Tags
baby bunnies