Help! Wilma has little Buns - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Help! Wilma has little Buns

I am glad now that I did not have Wilma sprayed at the same time.
1) I was not too sure the vet knew what he was doing
2) I suspected she may b pregnant.Dont know why but.I guess they werent as particular abt keeping the genders apart.

This morning Wilma pulled feverishly to loosen someo f her fur. But she has sone this in the past also.This afternooninto a corner.When I returned to the room,I went to clear up afer her only to find there were 5 little squirming darlings there amognst some hay she had pulled fm another location and some fur.There was one still born bun also.

I was shocked and yet cud not contain my joy.Wilma was fine,roaming the room etc.I think Betty knew something was up.

Remembering from somewhere that Males can attack the children,I have delicately lifted the towel alng with the buns and some hay and the loose hair and moved them to Wilma's cage.I have moved

PLS ADVISE WHAT ELSE I SHUD DO!! Any special dietary requirements? Any special bedding etc?? Now that they r here,I want to take the best care of them.Pls advise me urgently. THks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the little buns.

The best thing to do is just let the new momma do her thing. Try not to disturb her too much. It's probably really tempting to hold the babies, but you should leave them alone for now so you don't stress the mom out.

Just keep feeding the mom like normal. If you want you can give her some alfaalfa hay because it will help her maintain weight while she's producing milk and it's also good for the babies once they start nibbling on hay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

I thought some of these links might be helpful

Kind Planet Caring For Mother Rabbits, their Babies and Orphans

Baby Rabbit Care - Newborn Baby Rabbit Care

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

thks for advice

Thks for the gud advice.

I was concerned as I don't c Wilma feeding them??How do I know if she is?If not,what shud I do?
I read that she shud get spinach as it is high in Bunnies Spinach once a week was the most.(I know this is a special case).

I am also concerned as the cage Wilma is in is only 30 inches long.It is normally more than enough for her to roam around in but now?? I fear everytime it looks as if she is going to step on the littl eones.Also she roams abt the towel that covers the little ones almost asif they aren't inside. I know I may just b getting a bit paranoid but this is my first time and I need support of all u experienced friends out there.So pls bear with me even if it seems I am stating the obvious.

R all new daddies the same??
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 09:23 AM
RAT ADDICT

Unfortunatly I don't really have advice,as I am not a bunny owner.

But yes,I am sure all or most nre dads are just as nervous and worried and wanting the best for their babies,just as you are.I was the same way when I had a first litter of rats.

Anyway I can say that the mommy bunny covering over the babies is normal.She is doing that to protect them and keep them safe and warm.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I believe that I read bunnies only feed their young at dawn and dusk. This way they are less likely to attract predators to the nest. Of course Wilma does not have this problem I think that domestic bunnies kept that instinct.
I also read that you can check the babies each morning and make sure their little tummies are round and full looking. Weighing them to be sure they are gaining weight is the best way but you need a food scale to do this. Those little ones won't register on a bathroom scale.
I think common sense things like:
Make sure the babies are out of drafts
Make sure their bedding stays dry and clean
I would also check on them often - oh who am I kidding I would be sitting outside the cage staring at them all day long!
I would offer Wilma as much food as she would like. I also think that alfalfa is good for her and the babies once they begin to munch.
My vet said it's fine to give bunnies spinach - as long as you offer other greens as well. I doubt they should have only spinach all the time.
Oh my! BABIES!!
You must take pictures!!! I cannot wait to see them.
And baby bunnies should not have greens until they are older - I think it's 3-4 months. You have some time for that but they will get big quickly.
I am not sure how old they are suppposed to be when you separate the baby boys (if there are any) from Wilma. It's surprising how young they can reproduce!
BABIES!!!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

aww congrats on the babies, ive never had baby bunnies, so i dont really have much advice, but i have heard the same thing Kathydip said, that they only feed at dawn and dusk, i also heard that there milk is so rich that they only need to nurse for like 15-30 mins each time.

My Furry Family
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah - don't worry too much if you don't see her feeding them, they don't have to feed their babies every couple of hours like some animals do - once or twice a day is enough. If your concerned, check their bellies in the mornings and evenings - if they are eating their little belles should look full.

Are the babies in a nest box or anything? She may be covering them if she doesn't have a nest box to keep them safe and warm. Maybe if your concerned about her stepping on them and stuff you could find her some kind of nesting box for her.

Got any pictures? They must be so cute!

post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 04:59 AM

Wow Summer18! How exciting!

When Eloise had babies, which were also a bit of a surprise, we just left her to it. Tried not to touch the babies unless necessary (e.g. to put back in the nest). Having said that, my research revealed that rabbits do not reject their young if touched by, and therefore smelling like, humans. So while we didn't hold them all day long, we didn't worry if we did pick one up either.

She was so good at looking after them - they opened their eyes after about a week and it didn't take long for them to start crawling out of the nest. They started eating solid food when they were ready - had a go at some straw and pellets. The only thing we were cautious of was to make sure that all the babies were being fed by mum. And they were - we just watched that no one seemed to be being pushed out of the nest etc. It's so amazing. I think you'll find that Wilma knows what to do - best to leave her to it unless there seems to be a problem, in my view.

Hope all goes well - you'll have such a great time watching them grow! (Also hope you'll be able to post pictures one day!)
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Thks all

Thks all fr yr support. I have some pics but at present they look like cute baby Hippos!! Shud I wait till some fur sprouts or wud u like pics now?

I have moved Wilma & Family to a larger cage.Surprising how Wilma has managed to arrange her new surroundings.The little ones are now in a dip in the hay so they cannot crawl out and in a different lcoation in the cage!! Now I cant bring myself to think how WIlma has managed to do this but she has.Also the little ones r lined up in a row,not haphazzardly as before!! Also Wilma has found a position near them and shifted around even food bowls(Pretty heavy ones filled with pieces of fruit & veg) to a clear lcoation!!(Mother NAture--Hats off to u!! I only wish I cud have seen her doing the redecorating and rearranging.Plus she seems to b eating all that I give her.Is this normal!! All Day!!
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer18 View Post
Thks all fr yr support. I have some pics but at present they look like cute baby Hippos!! Shud I wait till some fur sprouts or wud u like pics now?
I can speak for all of us,when I say share some pictures now!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Pictures now please!!!

I would think that she would need to increase her food intake a lot. She has to make the milk for the babies so she will need it. I doubt she could over eat at this point. I would think she should be given as much as she wants. What does everyone else think?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I would say just let her eat as much as she wants. Bunnies kind of eat a lot as it is - or at least mine do! Rabbit milk is really rich so she probably looses alot making all that milk and you don't want her to start loosing too much weight or anything.

And yes, please post pictures now!

post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 06:18 PM

Absolutely pictures now, please!

And I agree, Wilma needs to be well nourished now, so let her eat as much as she needs.
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Image & Video of Buns

OK Ok .... heres a snap and a small video:-

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/Image018.jpg

Video of Buns one day old - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Cudnt get more for fear of frightening them or distressing WIlma.

Tell me what u think??

BTW, I nticed that they have minuture whiskers already!! ALso some of them are responding to m touch when I am returning them to the nest,by trying to almost walk off my hand!!instead of wriggling off!!

Tags
baby bunnies, baby bunny, food bowl, food bowls, human food, litter box, nest box, pet shop, pet shops, rabbit pellets, seperate cages, wire cage, wood stove pellets