help - - wry neck? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

help - - wry neck?

I think my bunny might have wry neck. Anyone have experience with this?

I had a bunny when I was a kid that had it. We took him to the vet and he told us that there wasn't anything he could do to help him. So my bunny just stayed with his head tilted until he passed on.

Two days ago, I noticed my bun with his head slightly cocked to the side and I thought, "oh no". It's been 25 years since my first experience with it so I'm curious to know if there is help for this problem now. Poor thing seems like his equilibrium is off too. He has an appointment at the vet tomorrow. I hope he can be helped.

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:10 PM

Tilting of the head can also mean a thing like an ear infection, which is fairly common in rabbits and easy to treat. A trip to a rabbit savvy vet is the best thing to do.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 11:33 PM

I agree with Millimi.
Ear infections are very painful and sometimes if not treated soon enough the animals head stays tilted like that
I would definetly take a trip to the Vet and rule that out first, just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you! I hope it is an ear infection... and that he can be helped. I just hate seeing him this way. I will update on his condition after his vet appt tomorrow.

~ Debrya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:08 AM

try this link for wry neck from petmedicinechest.com

http://www.petmedicinechest.com/rabb...rynecktext.asp

good luck, these folks are wonderful.

betts
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:45 AM

Good Luck at the vets tomorrow!
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

What happened at the vets? My Tabby has a permanant head tilt. But still she is currently on meds for it. If you catch it soon enough I think it can be helped. Tabby was put on Baytril for it. She was so sick and tilted when I found her it did not make the tilt go away. But something was causing the tilt and that stilll needed to be treated. Make sure your vet is rabbit savvy as Millimi said. That is very important. Tabathas vet caught many things that other no rabbit vets would not.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Haven't gone to the vet yet. Leaving shortly for the appointment.
I certainly hope my vet is rabbit savvy.
She did spay and neuter both my buns. That should count for something shouldn't it?

I'm nervous... I hope he will be ok.

~ Debrya
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 06:01 PM

good luck!! good vibes!!!

let us know how it goes
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ok... so went to the vet. She first tested for ear mites, that was negative. She concluded that it is either an ear infection type thing or possibly wry neck (like I thought). She didn't do any other tests. She gave me baytril for my bun to use for a week to see how he responds. If he seems to be responding, I am to go back for another weeks prescription until he seems better. Once he seems better, I am to continue the baytril for just one more week. If the baytril doesn't help then she is not sure what she can do to help him. Is that a sign of a non-rabbit savvy vet? Or is that just the facts?

Ok so I am to give him one baytril tablet every 12 hours. Does that seem right? He is a holland lop. She gave me a syringe and told me to try crushing the pill and adding water. Oh my! That was a night mare! He didn't want it! He pretty much just pushed it out with his tongue and made his chin all brownish! I'm not sure how much he really got!

I looked on the internet for suggestions on giving this pill to a bun and found lots of suggestions. I tried the banana thing but my buns have never tasted banana! So to test the thought, I brought a banana out to them and Pip sniffed it and then pretty much turned her nose up at it. Dude (my tilty head bun) did the same thing! No interest! I also read about putting it in applesauce or yogurt but they have never had that either! I never thought I was depriving them of anything til I read the suggestions! Oy!

So I need some help here. What's the best way to give a bun this stuff? I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks for all the support... you guys are so helpful!

~ Debrya
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:22 AM

I have found personally most 'savvey' Vet's are reccomending Chlor Palm now over baytril.
I don't understand why they gave you pills and not a liquid?

Also, Ear infections usually have an inflamation of the inner ear... you should be able to see that.
And Ear infections are also a 'infection', and my thoughts right now are infections usually give the animals a fever, What was your bunnies temp?

As for the pills, they sure do sound like a nightmare.
You want to hold your bunny up, like holding a baby upwards in a sitting position. Put the syringe in the corner of the mouth, but past the teeth, and squirt bits in at a time. He should kind of start licking it back.
You may want to add a little flavor so he likes it better. When I was force feeding my one bunny I added some apple sauce to give it a yummy flavor, so some juice could work the same instead of water.

I would call a few more Vets, find out if they take bunnies, and how often the Dr's see's them, or ask Rabbit clubs/breeders in your area who they go to. And maybe get a second opinion, even if it's just over the phone.

I hope your little bun is feeling better soon! <hugs>
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh my goodness! She didn't take his temperature! Ack! She did look in his ears but only with her naked eye... said something about the actual ear parts being behind bone... and not being able to tell anything without xrays and other tests being done (which she didn't ask if I wanted done). Ah man....

Ok so geeze... I have a long day shift at work tomorrow.... hopefully I will be able to get on the phone to make a few calls to some other vets.

As for the pills.... I could have sworn that she said it was all she had and warned me that it would be difficult to administer as they were really geared for dogs or cats. They are beef flavored.

You know this makes me mad now. I called my vet first to ask if there was treatment for wry neck since that was my first thought on this whole thing. I didn't want to have to take him in if there wasn't help for him. The receptionist said she would ask the doc and get back to me. Later her response was that she couldn't say anything without seeing the bun... so I brought him in. I would have appreciated a referral instead to someone who does deal with rabbits on a regular basis. <sigh>

~ Debrya
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

As soon as I read they were brown I knew they were the beef flavored ones. Tabatha started her Baytril on that kind b/c the docs at the SPCA only had those. They mixed it with something called Valsyrup which is a vitamin liquid. I just syringed that into her mouth. She loved it. The vets at the SPCA told me they didn't really know rabbits and to take her to a bunny vet. My normal vet didn't do buns either but I begged him and he made her more of the Baytril concoction. He actually got the ValSyrup in for me. He also tried mixing it with something that made the crushed tablet stay suspended better and I would not have to shake it like the dickens to make sure it was mixed before I gave it to her. She didn't like that one though. My regular vet was also concerned that mixing it like that may not give her the proper dosage each time.
Now she is on banana flavored Baytril that is already mixed. I do have to keep it in the fridge. She LOVES it. She grabs the end of the syringe and won't let go!
Also what kind of syringe did the vet give you? If it's the kind I first started with - the kind that is really for giving shots and they just take the needle off - well that is harder to use than the kind made for giving liquid meds. The tips of the syringes I use are small and it's very easy for her to get them in her mouth.
I am not sure what part of Idaho you are in but the house rabbit society listed
Boise
Ellen German, D.V.M.
Orchard Animal Clinic
110 N. Orchard
Boise, Idaho 83706
(208) 376-4433
Dr. Dianne Soule
Companions Animal Hospital
2802 Broadway Ave
Boise, ID 83706
(208) 389-9111

as good vets in Idaho. If you are not close to either of them maybe you could call and see who they recommend in your area. I also called the vets in my area to ask and I don't recommend that route. I was told by someone in HRS about Dr Donato (Tabbys vet) and going there was the best thing I ever did. I spent a ton of money at another vet and it was a waste! Dr Donato is actually cheaper than that first rabbit "savvy" vet I found.
Good luck keep us posted! And act as quickly as you can. I think if I had found Tabatha sooner she would be so much better off!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Beef Flavored pills!!! URGHHH!!! My vet for my bunnies do not do dogs and cats, she only does rabbits, ferrets, Guinea pig, birds, chinchillas etc.... so she has all the equipment for small animals.

Once i had to go to ER with my bunnies and they didn;t know anything about rabbits, they gave the wrond diagnosis etc.. IT WAS A DISASTER.

Let me give you a link for rabbit vets in Idaho. Hopefully you are not too far from them

http://www.rabbit.org/care/vets_idaho.html

Good luck...let us know how it goes
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

kathy u were faster than me sorry for posting the same thing

Tags
animal hospital, cage mate, ear infection, ear infections, ear mites, guinea pig, holland lop, house rabbit, house rabbit society, litter box, litter boxes, mini rex, rabbit savvy vet, rabbit society, regular vet, vet visit, wire cage